New to bonsai. Help with Nashia Bahama Berry.

Reaction score
Hi, I just got a few bonsai trees. A Chinese Juniper, a Ficus and a Nashia Bahama Berry. My Nashia recently started having dry leaves and I came home from work and almost all the leaves are dry and crispy and fell off after I touched them. Have I killed it? I don't ever remember letting it dry out, I've only have it about a week and water it whenever the top soil isn't moist which is about everyday or every other day. It is in a tight fitting pot and I soaked the soil after re-potting it. It goes outside every morning in full sun and I bring it inside every night when I get home at about 10pm. I live in Utah and it doesn't get very cold at night right now. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I love this plant and hope I can save it or ill try again.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, I just got a few bonsai trees. A Chinese Juniper, a Ficus and a Nashia Bahama Berry. My Nashia recently started having dry leaves and I came home from work and almost all the leaves are dry and crispy and fell off after I touched them. Have I killed it? I don't ever remember letting it dry out, I've only have it about a week and water it whenever the top soil isn't moist which is about everyday or every other day. It is in a tight fitting pot and I soaked the soil after re-potting it. It goes outside every morning in full sun and I bring it inside every night when I get home at about 10pm. I live in Utah and it doesn't get very cold at night right now. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I love this plant and hope I can save it or ill try again.

Welcome to Crazy.

This mix of trees usually comes from places that offer trees that are near dead, or quite incapable of remaining happy in new environments....

Maybe overwatered...

Get soil pics.

Sorce

Reaction score
Soil seems moist and roots aren't slimey or gross. Just feel thin and light. Not sure what I did wrong. If I get another maybe I'll try a soil moisture meter...

Attachments

• IMG_20180602_093824.jpg
    IMG_20180602_093824.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180602_093841.jpg
    IMG_20180602_093841.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180602_093831.jpg
    IMG_20180602_093831.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 18

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Actually it sounded like you were doing everything right. Well, almost everything.

For Nashua, think Bahamas. Very intense sunshine, constant high humidity, daytime seldom over 85F because of ocean, nights seldom below 70 F because of ocean. Rain every 3 to 5 days. Soil is basically sand from eroded coral, and decomposed bird guano. Member of the Verbena family. More a woody herb than a true tree. Like rosemary in terms of wood structure.

Often called the "I dry I die plant". Apparently never likes to get completely dry. When it's found fresh water keeps the ground moist

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
So while it may love Utah sun, it might not like Utah's extreme heat during the day and cold at night. If you have air conditioning, try keeping the next one indoors, in a south facing window & don't put it outside.

Top Bottom