New to bonsai, help with plant ID?

Caradee

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,

New here to the forum but a long time lover of bonsai! I currently have one small juniper bonsai that I've managed to keep alive for about 10 years, and a dwarf schefflera that bit the dust this summer :(. I went browsing around home depot this weekend and found a clearanced pot tagged as a bonsai, with no SKU or specific plant identification. The cashier entered it in as a Lucky Bean for purposes of price, but the leaves and stem structure look different than the photos I'm referencing online. Any ideas? I can post a better picture of the base of the plant if needed. Just trying to figure out the best conditions for it! IMG_7940.JPG

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Doesn't look like a bonsai. For reference Home Depot does not carry bonsai (no matter what their labels say). However you can get materials at Home Depot to make into Bonsai.

Caradee

Seed
Reaction score
Doesn't look like a bonsai. For reference Home Depot does not carry bonsai (no matter what their labels say). However you can get materials at Home Depot to make into Bonsai.
Yeah, I figured HD was making a bit of stretch with that labeling. But, having no species identification is a pain. It's planted in a draining sandy loam soil so I'm assuming the growing conditions are pretty similar to my schefflera. Although I didn't do a great job with that...

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks like a standard house plant which I am not an expert in. It might be easier to check with a house plant forum.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome to a fun hobby and an irreverent forum. Hang in there, it may take a couple days to a week, but this forum has members from all over the world and someone will recognize your plant. A few more pictures may help. Take one or two from eye level with the rim of the pot, so we can see the stems better. (too young and thin to call them trunks, yet) we need to see the pattern of the buds on the trunks, or stems. Also a photo of a single stem with its leaves, want to see a leaf laying flat to get the true view of its shape.

To have kept a Juniper alive in a pot for 10 years, is a credit to your horticultural skills. You do know how to keep a tree alive. You are a natural to jump further into this hobby. Welcome.

That said, this unidentified plant looks almost like a clump of young seedlings. It may take a season or two of growing to get these seedlings to display more ''grown up'' characteristics that would make identifying them easier. So add a couple more pictures, and then give this thread time, someone will get it right. A few will make wildly incorrect guesses and someone will tell you its a Foema juniper, which is an ''in-joke'' around here, a form of hazing.

Also please start a separate thread for your juniper. The fact that you have had it 10 years, is great. even if you don't feel it looks like much, it would be good to post and someone will give you suggestions for what to do with it next.

Remember, you have the horticultural skills to have kept the juniper alive 10 years, if you get advice that doesn't make sense, don't follow it, ask more questions instead. Please add a general location to your profile, so we know what part of the country or world you are growing in. Very often advise is tied to local climate. Timing of treatments is important, spring for me in Chicago IL area is months later than spring in Macon GA, and 6 months out of phase with our member in Santiago, Chile. Location does matter. All advice has to be adjusted by you to where it fits in your local climate calendar.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sort of resembles this plant I have, it's a zamioculcas zamiifolia. Perhaps same family?

Attachments

• 1500325794238610890961.jpg
    1500325794238610890961.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 14

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I Too, would love to see the juniper!

Sorce

Top Bottom