New to bonsai; here's my pomegranate!

hierophant

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi folks! I'm new to bonsai since ~December. I live in southern Wisconsin but will be moving to southern Louisiana soonish.

I've got a few smaller trees (redwood, sequoia, dwarf juniper, dwarf almond) but my favorite is my dwarf pomegranate.

She got her first pruning yesterday: some lower stuff, most importantly a bottom left branch parallel to the bottom right branch; some thinning-out at the top, which I'll continue to pinch now that I have an idea of her shape.

I'm going to re-pot her in good bonsai soil once her next phase pot (larger and round, glazed dark red) arrives.

I'd be grateful for thoughts about shape/wiring.

Nice to meet you all! :)

17425891_848192927947_4529673713679672521_n.jpg

Reaction score
I think you need to let it grow unrestricted for a few years so it can get a thicker trunk. If you constrain its growth, either via pruning or keeping in a small pot, it wont thicken much...

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's good to know (and part of why a wider pot: I want her trunk to thicken!)

Thanks!
Hi Hierophant,
Welcome to the hobby! I agree with Gustavo.
If you just want to enjoy it as it is now, it is fine; otherwise, you need to let it grow big and strong before you prune it. You can wire the trunk now if you like.
One more thing: the spring is not a good time to prune pomegranate. If you do it, the tree health may be negatively affected!
Good luck .
Bonhe

hierophant

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you all for the warm welcome and info! I'll definitely let it grow some before pruning again (and I'll prune later in the year! :) )

When I do repot, is spring alright? And should I trim the roots at all?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi H.
Welcome to the forum, it would be good if you put your location in your profile so when you have questions, people can give you good information based on climate. When you move, just update it.
I'm with the let it grow for now crowd. But as Bonhe said, wiring the trunk will give you a better shape later on.

hierophant

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Will do, re: profile!

For wiring: I'm not sure how much to wire at this point in its life cycle. How much is too much and might damage it?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will do, re: profile!

For wiring: I'm not sure how much to wire at this point in its life cycle. How much is too much and might damage it?

I'd give it all kinds if hell now...

Then let it grow out when you're in La where it will be happier!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It won't hurt to wire it now, as you have not repotted recently and the new roots won't get damaged by you moving the tree around as you bend. After a repot is a bad time to wire...

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Very cool pom!

I was really close to getting one about that same size for my first tree!

Oh and great idea to move to Louisiana, I'm from New Orleans and always miss it!

Welcome to the forums

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
="hierophant, post:

When I do repot, is spring alright?
It is not a good time to repot it in spring. In my area, I transplant it in fall. You can do it in the summer, but have to be careful about the dehydration ( have to protect the tree with plastic bag to keep good humidity )

And should I trim the roots at all?
I will not trim the roots at this stage.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:)

I'm thinking of wiring my pom into an angled shape like one here (the second one under the Angled heading, 2/3s down the page): http://andyrutledge.com/book/content/langofartistry.html

Thoughts?
It is really nice shape, but to get that kind of angle on pomegranate, you must have to use clip and grow technique a lot. Wiring will not help you to obtain the acute angle.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is really nice shape, but to get that kind of angle on pomegranate, you must have to use clip and grow technique a lot. Wiring will not help you to obtain the acute angle. I would wire it to make a working frame at first, then do clip and grow later on
Bonhe

hierophant

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why specifically? Brittleness of the trunk, or?

For getting that first bend, would I be able to wire the trunk to a 45 degree angle? Then clip and grow for there? Or would it be better to angle the whole tree 45 degrees at replanting?

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome!!!!!!!

Regarding wiring the trunk to 45................just a thought.....If you focus on growth and really get it growing strong and thickening out........you could use that branch on the bottom right as the apex of the tree eventually and that is the angle you are looking for :)

Just like @bonhe Clip and grow will be your friend. Along with Patience.....if you are itching to do something, get another tree :)

Top Bottom