New to Bonsai in Montreal Canada

Boex

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello everyone,

I've been interested in growing bonsai for years now and just found this forum which seems to have a lot of passionate members.

Living in an apartment, with no good sunlight, I haven't really had the opportunity to start yet, but after visiting a friend of mine and randomly discovered he had a small collection of bonsai in his backyard, the urge to start my journey has been strongly awakened. I've read a lot and watch a lot of video/tutorial throughout the years about care, pruning etc. but I still have a few questions. Mainly, this one:

I'm planning to buy a house in maximum, 4-5 years, but until then, the only place I can grow bonsai, is on my balcony, which is facing north... and... under the shade of a large maple tree. Do any of you had success with some species requiring no direct sunlight and that are thriving in shaded environments in USDA zone: 4B/ Canadian Zone: 6A? And obviously, that are easy to take care of, for a newbie.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You could get a growlight and set it up outside on your balcony. Unfortunately, most bonsai need a fair amount of sun, if not full sun. I don't know much about species to grow that far north, but I know larch and spruce are not too difficult and very cold hardy. Chinese elm is probably the easiest deciduous species for beginners. A quick google search shows that some cultivars like "Dynasty" and "Central Park Splendour" are hardy to zone 5. That should be fine where you live because you should not leave most bonsai outside and exposed in the coldest part of winter. The little pots do not insulate enough and even cold hardy species can die. I had an oak that was hardy to zone 6 die in my zone 9b winter this past year due to a sudden cold snap, for example.

If you do invest in a growlight, you could also go ahead and get a tropical species, which you would bring in, under your growlight, once night temperatures drop below 15C. Ficus microcarpa is by far the easiest, and IMO is the best beginner species. They are very easy to wire, heal very quickly, and live a very long time. They can also tolerate lower light levels if needed.

Last edited:

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome aboard! Yews are a species that can grow in shade, and should be okay in your zone.

Boex

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome aboard! Yews are a species that can grow in shade, and should be okay in your zone.
Thank you! Seems, like a good option from what I could read on this species. Will definitely give it a try.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can have any tree with a name ending in Fig. On the balcony when temps are above 10°C summer, on the windowsill temps under 10°C in winter.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard! A yew might be a really good start. Mine is tough as nails.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide.

cheers
DSD sends

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Japanese yews might be cold hardy in USDA zone 4B, but surviving in a location like a balcony without any benefit of the thermal sink from the earth is unlikely. Honestly, keeping anything alive out on the balcony during a particularly cold Montreal winter will be very difficult, I’m sorry to say.

Boex

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Japanese yews might be cold hardy in USDA zone 4B, but surviving in a location like a balcony without any benefit of the thermal sink from the earth is unlikely. Honestly, keeping anything alive out on the balcony during a particularly cold Montreal winter will be very difficult, I’m sorry to say.
My friend have a cold frame for his bonsai collection during the winter, and offered me some space. Other than that, I saw some people abble to store their bonsai inside insulated foam box, filled with mulch.

Last edited:

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live near Calgary, Alberta (zone 3), and have overwintered larch, spruce, lodgepole pines, serviceberries and some other native broadleafs just buried up to their proteins with bark mulch on them for a number of years. If you know anyone with a bit of garden space, similar species should do fine where you are.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a very active bonsai society club in Montreal . Join that . The Montreal Botanical garden has one of the finest bonsai collections in the northeast . . I’m sure there is a wealth of advice there . David Easterbrook . Retired curator of the collection there . Long time well known bonsai teacher lecturer and bonsai enthusiast . And great guy is there . Look him up on u tube .

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
European yew and beech require very little light. Worth a try

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you are really constricted to indoor growing. You could try growing jade/ portulacaria Afra or dwarf umbrella tree.

These are grown as house plants and all can make great bonsai. Especially port. Afra and the dwarf umbrella tree.

You will however still need a window for light or as others have said get a nice grow light. You can pick up a good LED grow light on amazon for 100$

Top Bottom