New to bonsai in the last 7-8 months, is my tree dead?

bonsain00b

Seedling
Reaction score
I have 3 trees, 2 of which, a chinese elm and fukien tea tree are doing fine. My third tree is a dawn redwood. Over a long weekend I was out of town I was not able to water the tree for a few days. It was sitting on the back porch which gets moderate light and the tree was in a place that did not get direct sunlight. Basically all of the needles have since turned brown and will fall off if touched. Is the tree dead or is this typical this time of year? I have been trying to water it regularly, but saw from something I read that the tree can be over watered, and I did notice a small amount of moss at the trunk base. Is the tree dead?

Thanks for the help!
Justin

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have 3 trees, 2 of which, a chinese elm and fukien tea tree are doing fine. My third tree is a dawn redwood. Over a long weekend I was out of town I was not able to water the tree for a few days. It was sitting on the back porch which gets moderate light and the tree was in a place that did not get direct sunlight. Basically all of the needles have since turned brown and will fall off if touched. Is the tree dead or is this typical this time of year? I have been trying to water it regularly, but saw from something I read that the tree can be over watered, and I did notice a small amount of moss at the trunk base. Is the tree dead?

Thanks for the help!
Justin

Don't know for sure if the tree is dead but Dawn Red Wood is a deciduous conifer, it loses all of it's needles in the fall like Larch and Bald Cypress.

bonsain00b

Seedling
Reaction score
Well you seem to know more than I do. After looking closer, it has two branches that have green on them still. Being that this is my first winter with the trees, i have not experienced this so my first thought is that it's dead.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Justin, it would help us all help you in the future if you fill in your profile with your location. As to your Dfawn redwood; it is a deciduous conifer. the browning of the foliage is completely natural.It will lose it's leaves every fall and regrow again in the spring just like any other deciduous tree such as maple, oak, elm, etc. (I'm assuming you are in the Northern Hemisphere). I have never had any of these particular trees myself, so I can't advise on the details of watering them, but it probably is just fine. over the winter it won't need much water during dormancy except to keep it from getting really dry. Make sure it has good drainage and it is not sitting on water. Also, a picture of the tree would be really helpful.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will just have to wait until spring to see if it comes back. Your location would help as you still have a tropical and semi tropical outside in December. I believe if your Fukien tea freezes its tits up for that one.

bonsain00b

Seedling
Reaction score
my account was just approved today, so this is my first log in. Thanks for the info regarding the tree.

bonsain00b

Seedling
Reaction score
You will just have to wait until spring to see if it comes back. Your location would help as you still have a tropical and semi tropical outside in December. I believe if your Fukien tea freezes its tits up for that one.

Tea tree stays inside if its under 50deg. I will take some pics tomorrow and post of the trees.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I have had bad luck on forums (unrelated to bonsai) so its good to get quick feedback.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Tea tree stays inside if its under 50deg. I will take some pics tomorrow and post of the trees.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I have had bad luck on forums (unrelated to bonsai) so its good to get quick feedback.

That's because you have caught most of us during the Silly Season when bonsai work is winding down and INTERNER forums are on the rise. But; we try to help when we notice someone is asking for help.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's funny wood.
I find that it's my busiest time of learning and revisiting the last growing season and what I have done right and wrong. Probably because I spend too much time indoors and as an all out gardener it drives me crazy. My wife says if I go outside "you goin bonsain". For non southerners that's "are you going outside to do do constructive educated work on your bonsai"?
Yeah she made a verb out of it....... Translation/with correct spelling, Are you going bonsaiing? She is a rather very educated southern bell with proper upbringing. Think steal magnolias crossed with business charm.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That's funny wood.
I find that it's my busiest time of learning and revisiting the last growing season and what I have done right and wrong. Probably because I spend too much time indoors and as an all out gardener it drives me crazy. My wife says if I go outside "you goin bonsain". For non southerners that's "are you going outside to do do constructive educated work on your bonsai"?
Yeah she made a verb out of it....... Translation/with correct spelling, Are you going bonsaiing? She is a rather very educated southern bell with proper upbringing. Think steal magnolias crossed with business charm.

We should all do that, one of the reasons that taking a lot of pictures is important. Photographs don't take a lot of time and if you are digital they don't cost anything. The rewards of doing so are vast.

bonsain00b

Seedling
Reaction score
It's taken me a few days to remember to take pictures. Here they are.

Tea tree growing really well inside. Probably the easiest tree to take care of so far.

Tree by justinmdougherty, on Flickr

The elm looked a lot better a few days ago but first the cat ate some leaves because i left it inside one night(probably the 5th time) and then it has been really cold outside.

20121208_164843.jpg by justinmdougherty, on Flickr

Here is the redwood. It had many more branches on it a few days ago but I think the wind and rain took most of them off last night. Only one branch with green left.

20121208_164835.jpg by justinmdougherty, on Flickr

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you feeding that cat? lol I'm kidding. Have you tried any of those "no chew" sprays? They have a bittering agent in them to prevent pets from chewing on your things. Be sure the one you choose is safe for plants though.

Top Bottom