New to bonsai Japanese maple

Jpaoki

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to bonsai and have a few questions I hope you all can help me with. I live in Hawaii and recently purchased a Japanese maple from a local nursery. I really love the look maples and after doing some research I found that Japanese Maples are really hard to grow in Hawaii's climate. Im not sure the species. So I guess what I'm asking is can it be done?
I also noticed the leaves are beginning to get holes and some leaves are turning brown and the new buds are drying out and dying. I found some tiny white bugs in the soil and on the leaves but not sure how to address the issue. I read on the internet that maples are really sensitive to insecticides so is there any other way to get rid of these little white bugs?
As I said earlier I'm new to bonsai and would really appreciate any help from you folks.
THANKS!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Unless you live at a higher elevation on the Big Island, I suspect that you maple will not thrive in Hawaii. They do need at least a brief time of chilled weather for dormancy. Theoretically, you might supply this by placing the tree in the refrigerator for a few weeks in the winter, but that's usually not practical.

Jpaoki

Seed
Reaction score
Have any of you heard of a Japanese maple species by the name of "JOJI"? The nursery I purchased the tree from advertised that it is a "JOJI" Japanese maple and it is the only species that can thrive in Hawaii. I've done tons of research and have not found anything on this "JOJI" they speak of. HELP ME PLEASE.

Narazbad

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In regard to the bugs, you might try Neem oil? I'm uncertain how the maple would react to it, but it's the most natural thing I know of in my limited experience.

Top Bottom