New to Bonsai, Juniper Procumbens

RELogan887

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just got a Juniper and wondering if I can repot it to a nice ceramic I got with it. It’s cold one here in Ontario now but I got it from just down the street. Though it was a greenhouse with a nice climate, my window is bit cooler. I haven’t watered yet and just wondering if it’s ok to repot already. Should I water before or after I repot? Thanks again, I’ll probably be here for help again.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
my window is bit cooler
This sounds like you have it in the house. Please tell me you do not keep it inside?

ondering if I can repot it to a nice ceramic I got with it.
Repot in spring, when growth returns, and you see the first hints of greening up

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Junipers do not survive indoors. I would place outside in a relatively protected location. Repot in spring like mentioned above.

RELogan887

Seedling
Reaction score
Pretty sure directions say it’s adapted to tropical climates and that it needs to be kept in partial shade during hot weather. That means inside in winter no?

Last edited:

RELogan887

Seedling
Reaction score
This sounds like you have it in the house. Please tell me you do not keep it inside?

Repot in spring, when growth returns, and you see the first hints of greening up

Attachments

• 6DC3C658-E42D-4171-A321-BAEDC84629A6.jpeg
    6DC3C658-E42D-4171-A321-BAEDC84629A6.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 10

RELogan887

Seedling
Reaction score
Spoke with the store. Saying to keep it inside for this winter, keep it moist. I’ll repot and bring outside in spring then get ready for winterization outside for next winter.

RELogan887

Seedling
Reaction score
Junipers do not survive indoors. I would place outside in a relatively protected location. Repot in spring like mentioned above.
It’s a baby grower. Spoke with store, they're saying keeping it inside for this winter, bring it out and repot, get it ready for next season.

Graeshadowe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey all,
Just got a Juniper and wondering if I can repot it to a nice ceramic I got with it. It’s cold one here in Ontario now but I got it from just down the street. Though it was a greenhouse with a nice climate, my window is bit cooler. I haven’t watered yet and just wondering if it’s ok to repot already. Should I water before or after I repot? Thanks again, I’ll probably be here for help again.
Sounds like the bug has bitten you!
And yes, it should be outdoors. Junipers are generally hearty species that thrive on the weather extremes.
Now, in a couple of months, you can repot into your container using quality soil; or even baked clay.
There are a few species that you can keep indoors; but junipers aren't them.
I know, I feel your pain, lol.
Until then, you can use this time to watch all the YouTube videos you can handle from Eastern Leaf, Herons Bonsai, and several others; even get you some nursery stock to practice on.
Welcome to the Kingdom of Little Trees!

Graeshadowe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spoke with the store. Saying to keep it inside for this winter, keep it moist. I’ll repot and bring outside in spring then get ready for winterization outside for next winter.
NO!!!!!
Junipers don't like wet feet...

RELogan887

Seedling
Reaction score
NO!!!!!
Junipers don't like wet feet...
Shoot, trying to get the best information here for it. The store is saying it’s too cold right now for it and to keep it inside just for this season. It still getting a lot of indirect light. I’ve had it for just about a week and watered once since I brought it inside. Misted twice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why dont you look at the recommendations in the Juniper sub-forum here from people who have award winning juniper trees... I guarantee you will find the recommendation is to keep it outside.

Graeshadowe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shoot, trying to get the best information here for it. The store is saying it’s too cold right now for it and to keep it inside just for this season. It still getting a lot of indirect light. I’ve had it for just about a week and watered once since I brought it inside. Misted twice.
Unfortunately, some nurseries are the worst place for accurate information, unless it's a bonsai specific nursery.
We won't steer you wrong here😁
Bonsai can become a healthy addiction.
But too much bad information can discourage someone just getting started.
Look for a local bonsai club, too; they have a wealth of local tips and tricks

RELogan887

Seedling
Reaction score
Moving it into deep frost when it was in a warm greenhouse will not be good for it. Do you have a frost-free-but-very-cold shed you could move it into untill thaw starts?
There is a shed, I don’t think I’d call it frost free though. I do have a covered porch as well but it would still get snowed on. We just had a big dumping of it last night, at least 3 inches deep.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a shed, I don’t think I’d call it frost free though. I do have a covered porch as well but it would still get snowed on. We just had a big dumping of it last night, at least 3 inches deep.
Snow is great. Inside the snow temps stay ear freezing most of winter. So that would be an option. Burry it in snow. But.. You have a tricky situation. Not sure what I would do in your situation (Well.. I would not get a juniper in winter, if it is not kept dormant by the trader, but that is hindsight!)

RELogan887

Seedling
Reaction score
Why dont you look at the recommendations in the Juniper sub-forum here from people who have award winning juniper trees... I guarantee you will find the recommendation is to keep it
Snow is great. Inside the snow temps stay ear freezing most of winter. So that would be an option. Burry it in snow. But.. You have a tricky situation. Not sure what I would do in your situation (Well.. I would not get a juniper in winter, if it is not kept dormant by the trader, but that is hindsight!)
Honestly, I’ll probably do what the nursery recommended and keep it inside just for this season and get it out as soon as possible. I do hear you all though and want it outside I just don’t think putting it out in the Canadian winter after being in a warm moist greenhouse is the best idea after just getting it.