New to Bonsai, Juniper Procumbens

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Honestly, I’ll probably do what the nursery recommended and keep it inside just for this season and get it out as soon as possible. I do hear you all though and want it outside I just don’t think putting it out in the Canadian winter after being in a warm moist greenhouse is the best idea after just getting it.
I’ll go ahead and agree with you on this.
junipers can be tough, but procumbens will suffer or die unprotected in your climate.
You will definitely kill this if you just stick it outside.
Next winter plan on wintering outside with protection. For now I’d look for something fridged but not freezing. Maybe the coldest spot in a basement. A unheated shed will also likely be too cold.
The fridge is also possible for needed dormancy, but is also tricky.
Good luck.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am also into hobbyist level fish breeding. I have some Blue Acaras spawning as I type this in a tank right behind me. The absolute worst place to get advice on fish-keeping is most pet stores. They have no clue.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're just looking for a place to keep it where it will stay between 30F and 40F degrees.

If you want to keep it inside, that's fine, but we will see where it is in spring. 😜

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
junipers can be tough, but procumbens will suffer or die unprotected in your climate.
According to Ryan Neil Procumbens is very though to kill...
Like already mentioned here, I'll put in in the garage or shed, protected from cold wind and hard freezing

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
According to Ryan Neil Procumbens is very though to kill...
Like already mentioned here, I'll put in in the garage or shed, protected from cold wind and hard freezing
Yes, but what kind of freezing do you think occurs in Ontario? Very very hard freezing.
And when it’s been previously pampered in a green house, it had not developed the cold hardiness procumbens can develop.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is it too late in the season to induce proper cold hardiness?? I dont think so. I would get it acclimated to cold temperatures through protected introduction and then into regular native cold temperatures.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Sure. If you are able to make that space that will give it that temperature range. That would be ideal.
Then in spring, buy a more developed plant and start it correctly right off the bat. Not hard to find something a decade further along. They are very obtainable and pretty inexpensive.

RELogan887

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes, but what kind of freezing do you think occurs in Ontario? Very very hard freezing.
And when it’s been previously pampered in a green house, it had not developed the cold hardiness procumbens can develop.
My thoughts exactly. If I lived in Southern California I’d be having it starting off outside. But right now I still think it’s best having it inside for this season.

RELogan887

Seedling
Reaction score
I am also into hobbyist level fish breeding. I have some Blue Acaras spawning as I type this in a tank right behind me. The absolute worst place to get advice on fish-keeping is most pet stores. They have no clue.
It wasn’t just any store. I should’ve been more specific. It was a greenhouse and nursery specializing in bonsai and exotic plants.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It can get well below that here in Ontario, Canada.

I'm not saying that those will be your temperatures. I'm saying you want to keep it at those temps. After a month or so It can likely freeze no issue.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not trying to sound mean. I’ll bet it would survive outside under the deck or something. If it doesn’t buy some more from a regular nursery. A lot of people online ripping off people who dont know bonsai. Most standard nurseries sell them. They are probably the easiest and most affordable species to find for bonsai. And it’s good to acquire material that people successfully grow outdoors in your area. Or that grow in most regions in case you move.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey, that looks like one I just killed experimenting on it! 🤣

Juniperus procumbens is native to the southern subtropical regions of Japan. As such they have adapted to be able to go without a dormancy period, though they are often healthier when they can sleep for winter.
That said, find the sunniest window in your house, and get a good grow light to put above it, and it should be ok until you thaw out.

DO NOT REPOT UNTIL EARLY SPRING.
Pretty sure this and an unaccounted for heater vent is what just killed mine. Dead in record time for me too. Less than a month. That and it was in dreadful condition and terribly mistreated when I got it.
Repotting in late summer for these is second best. Leave it at least a month or so for the roots to recover before the frost start.

Chopstick trick
Stab a wooden/bamboo chopstick into the soil all the way to the bottom of the pot as close to under the trunk as you can safely manage. Use it as a dipstick to check moisture content in the soil. Water thoroughly every time, then don't water again until the stick is ALL BUT dry.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In 21 days it'll be crispy. That's my estimate. Pale Green, but crispy.
I'm hoping it lives, and if it does you'd be one of the first to have kept a procumbens indoors without killing it.

Nurseries specialized in bonsai, that sell greenhouse juniper trees in the dead of winter.. That sounds off to me. They shouldn't have been in a greenhouse in the first place.

Top Bottom