New to bonsai, Junipers' new needles going brown in Austin, TX?

fulluphigh

Seed
Reaction score
Hi!

I recently (just over two weeks ago) purchased my first bonsai, from a man who sells them in the back of a van in Austin, haha. The trees seem quite healthy, aside from the guy telling me they would be fine inside, which didn't take much research afterwards to find out isn't remotely true, but I digress.

Less than a week after I brought them home, the needles at the tips of what appear to be the newest branches started turning brown, which seems pretty worrying. I tried pinching off just the brown needles from a few branches to see if that was the end of it, but the browning continued =x

I don't think that I've messed up watering, at least not badly? They're in full light in Austin TX, and we've had a few sunny, hot days since I got them, but it's been quite rainy and extremely humid as well, and I've tried keeping up on the watering by using the piece-of-a-chopstick-in-the-pot method. I didn't water every day at first, waiting until the top of the soil seemed to be getting dry, but when they started browning I've been trying to water a bit more often. Everything online just says that they could be either over or underwatered, and that's... not helpful. The man who sold them also claimed they were hardy trees, so maybe that was also just inaccurate?

Here are some photos of the two trees, both of which are exhibiting the issue. I've circled the browning points in red, you can see it's mostly at the tips of the longest branches (furthest from the trunk, I'm assuming it's where the new growth is but I don't actually know haha).

Thank you for taking the time to look and offer any advice or input =) Really hoping my trees can be saved, wouldn't want to get off to such a bad foot.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im starting to think that selling bonsai out of a van is a legitimate career at this point. It seems every day someone says they bought a bonsai from a guy in a van who tells them the same exact thing.

Who is this guy, and how fast did he pay his mortgage off?

Its probably just responding to being moved and put in new location. Dont be fast to over water. Water when the tree needs it as per your initial plan when the top inch or so of soil is dry. It looks like your tree is in an organic mix. It will hold water longer than an inorganic mix.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

Looks like spider mites. Look at your last photo closely, and you can see fine webbing in and among the foliage almost like you would expect to see from a tiny spider :) Many products will treat spider mites, but I use neem oil.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
On juniper? In summer?

I have / do. Just watch the strength and make sure you don't apply when hot, sunny weather is in the forecast... or else move your treated trees out of direct sunlight or you may experience some mild scorching of foliage. Some people say that using neem oil on certain junipers is a mistake... but I have never had an issue with it, at least not with chinese junipers, shore junipers, procumbens and san jose junipers, hollywood junipers and California junipers. Of course, mites are more or less a chronic on-going issue here.

fulluphigh

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the responses!

Who is this guy, and how fast did he pay his mortgage off?
Seriously though...

Its probably just responding to being moved and put in new location. Dont be fast to over water. Water when the tree needs it as per your initial plan when the top inch or so of soil is dry. It looks like your tree is in an organic mix. It will hold water longer than an inorganic mix.
Got it, will stick to the current watering schedule then. Thank you!

Looks like spider mites. Look at your last photo closely, and you can see fine webbing in and among the foliage almost like you would expect to see from a tiny spider :) Many products will treat spider mites, but I use neem oil.
Hooooly crap what a good catch! I didn't notice the webbing at all, staring at the browning needles or taking and editing the pictures or anything. Good eye!

On juniper? In summer?
Just watch the strength and make sure you don't apply when hot, sunny weather is in the forecast... or else move your treated trees out of direct sunlight or you may experience some mild scorching of foliage.
So is the worry with oil just about scorching under direct sunlight, similar to watering the foliage under direct sun? I could see how that could be worse, with oil not evaporating. I've read recommendations on mixing up some soap and spraying them down, then rinsing the soap off. Would it be smart to do something similar with neem oil? It's uh, looking pretty sunny here for the rest of the week.

Would spraying them down in the evening be smart, or would they still be at risk of scorching the next day with the oil?

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Seen him for a long time around Austin... His trees are cheap junipers.. But its a good practice tree

GrandBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I would like to know where in Austin I can find this guy.... for research purposes of course :)

Top Bottom