New to Bonsai, just bought Ficus Benjamina

Reaction score
Hey folks, you probably get this classic newbie post all the time and sorry about that, but I i've just bought a ficus benjamina and was wondering what the steps you would take to create a great bonsai tree out of this.

It's still a seedling at this point so im aware I shouldn't really doing anything to it for awhile.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Maine man @Nwaite got/had!...a variegated ficus.
My other Maine man @Soldano666 has a "too little" which also grows a bit slower.

I got regular Ben's I hacked on so much they grew slow too!

Welcome to Crazy!

Let some run, cut some back....
Slow...slow...slow!

Sorce

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
First step on something like this to grow. You may also want to wire correctly to get some initial trunk movement. The movement on your tree is nice, but the wire seems to be applied in a way that might harm the tree as it grows.

Truthfully, you're a bit away from having a tree that's really ready to work on. Besides watering and maybe wiring, you're not doing too much for the next few years on this tree besides growing it larger.

Welcome to the hobby. It's a lot of fun.

Reaction score
First step on something like this to grow. You may also want to wire correctly to get some initial trunk movement. The movement on your tree is nice, but the wire seems to be applied in a way that might harm the tree as it grows.

Truthfully, you're a bit away from having a tree that's really ready to work on. Besides watering and maybe wiring, you're not doing too much for the next few years on this tree besides growing it larger.

Welcome to the hobby. It's a lot of fun.

Yeah I just thought there could be things I'd have to do along the way, thanks a lot for your feedback.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah I just thought there could be things I'd have to do along the way, thanks a lot for your feedback.

Keep it alive! Serious, it is a required step... Also, add your USDA Zone and general location so it shows like it does in my avatar - you will get more input proper for your area :)

Welcome!

Grimmy

trihard

Seed
Reaction score
Benjaminas grow really quickly especially in the summer time so make sure you change the wiring before it cuts into the trunk otherwise as others have said just feed, water and watch it grow to develop a nice thick trunk. Welcome to the bonsai world.

Top Bottom