New to bonsai/land plants in general!

Boshia

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello! I am from Florida, and I have recently acquired a procumbens nana bonsai. I'm going to go ahead and say the ugly- I got it from a vendor in a flea market. The guy said he grew it himself in his greenhouse, so it was exposed to bright but filtered light. He recommended getting it used to full sunlight by allowing it a few hours of early morning/late afternoon sun. He used Elmer's glue on the rocks to keep it from staying put while I brought it home, but after some research about this I washed the glue off and put the rocks back on.
Here are some pictures of the bonsai. Does it look healthy?
002_zpsf39438eb.jpg

004_zpsaf577061.jpg

005_zpsa2ee2bc3.jpg

And this picture is showing the color of it when I scraped some of the bark off:
003_zps7008df35.jpg

Will this tree be able to thrive in a screened patio, if it is indeed healthy now?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nana.....Na......gonna have a good time! Heh heh heh.

Welcome Boshia.

It looks good. I don't think you scraped down to the green. But no need.

If you water properly, you could go full sun.

Sorce

Boshia

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you sorce, I'm glad to hear that I got a live one and not just an imposter! I was thinking of putting it outside but the thing is we have raccoons and possums that are very curious. Is a screened patio a sufficient environment for this tree?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Junipers NEED sun. Outside on a table would be best. I don't think critters will bother it.

WHERE in Florida are you? Lots of climate zones there.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you use chemical fertilizers it should be fine outside. Put some organic animal poo or some other kind of organic fertilizer and then the raccoons might mess with it.

Boshia

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm in Ocala Fl. I think the zone is 9a, but I'm not entirely sure. I will look for a space outside today. For chemical fertilizers, is Osmocote Plus OK? I have a big bag of it for my aquarium plants and it would be great if I could use it for the tree too. And how do I keep harmful bugs off of it without harming it?

Top Bottom