New to Bonsai, looking to grow from Seeds

JimJam35

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7ab
hello out there Bonsai world,

i am new to Bonsai and i am looking for a little help and maybe be pointed in the right direction. i recently ordered a package of 4 types of Maple seeds (Trident maple, Amur Maple, Japanese maple, and Acer palmatum 'Atropurpreum') i have been doing extensive reading and research on Bonsai for the past few weeks. I live on Long Island New York where i saw that maples are in the correct "zone" for growing. i am wondering if it is currently just starting summer here, when i receive the seeds should i start the process of germinating and stratifying?? Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated, also down the road i know i am going to have to buy proper tools of the trade, if anyone has an idea of what starter tools are good to purchase please let me know. any tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated also

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome!!

Check your PM.

The only tool I find that is really necessary is the 8" concave cutter. I love my Joshua Roth (middle of the road price wise) but gets the job done.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To honestly point you in the right direction, I'd advise NOT starting with seeds. You will not be doing bonsai for five or six years, perhaps longer when you start with seeds. It is a VERY long road and you're not guaranteed to have anything to work with at the end of it.

That said, if you're dead set on starting with seed. Plant them out now AND get some already containerized juniper, maple or other species to actually do "bonsai" on...

If you start with seeds, you will not need bonsai tools for at least five years or more. You can do all the light work necessary on seedlings with plain old scissors.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I 2nd rockm's advise...I personally would never start from seed unless I have no choice.

JimJam35

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7ab
So u suggest I start with a pre bonsai or bonsai tree already to learn the actions required? And if growing maple seeds should I start with a maple or a diff type of tree? Also if I start with an already grown tree what tools are required. Sorry if annoying just trying to gather as much knowledge as possible

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would check nurseries and look at their 3 gallon (or bigger) stocks. It really depends on your budget but it usually is a trade off between cost and time.

Note that you can chop down some (depending on tree variety) 15 feet tall tree down to a few inches if you want.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suggest getting an actual "finished" bonsai AND some decent sized starter stock. The finished tree doesn't have to be an expensive specimen. "Mallsai" or trees sold at the mall or on the roadside can be perfectly acceptable (And expendable) starter bonsai material. This will give you something to admire and learn to care for immediately. You will learn how to water, fertilize and prune, overwinter, etc.--in learning this, you're building a solid skill foundation. It's hands-on learning that is the best instructor in bonsai. Might even consider taking the tree to a bonsai club workshop to get some input from professionals or experienced bonsaiists.

I'd also look around at garden centers for likely "cut down" candidates. You can probably get something decent for under $40. This material will allow you to get hands-on in actually making a bonsai.

Then, read, read read and READ everything about bonsai you can get your hands on, attend club meetings, events, SEE some REAL bonsai IN PERSON.

Then with that knowledge go home and start to work.

Also, don't get attached to the material you're working on at first. You will likely make mistakes small and large--some dead trees are likely.

JimJam35

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7ab
i understand, i will deff give that a try and see what i can find and keep you guys posted. guess doing is the best way to learn with bonsai. thank you. will mostly likely have alot more questions so hope you can be patient with me :)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
i understand, i will deff give that a try and see what i can find and keep you guys posted. guess doing is the best way to learn with bonsai. thank you. will mostly likely have alot more questions so hope you can be patient with me :)

Welcome to the world of bonsai! You will be fine, want to know why? You were given some suggestions that some might have seen as hard and you were open to them. You were teachable. The folks around here know what they are talking about. Don't be afraid of asking questions, it is much worse to get good advice and not follow it.

Enjoy!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"if growing maple seeds should I start with a maple or a diff type of tree? Also if I start with an already grown tree what tools are required. Sorry if annoying just trying to gather as much knowledge as possible"

I'd start with elm seeds. Most native maples in North America are not easy bonsai subjects. Any elm, however, is bulletproof. If you can get Japanese maple seeds, they're good too. JMs are producing seeds now and you can probably find them under a landscape tree.

As for tools, you really don't need anything special at this point. Plain scissors, hand saw and pliers and the like can substitute adequately for the more specialized bonsai tools for a few years. The only tool you MAY need is a concave cutter or sidecutter.

I personally wouldn't start buying bonsai tools right off the bat. It's a financial commitment (good Japanese concave cutters can run $40-$150 depending on size). Buying cheap Chinese-made tools off some site on the internet may seem like a deal, but those tools can screw up your trees. Concave cutters, for instance, are precision instruments that have edges that overlap precisely. Misaligned, knock offs from China usually have edges that meet unevenly or not at all. They can tear tissues instead of cutting it, resulting in a bad injury on the plant that may not heal properly or disfigures the branch--been there, done that.

Also, don't be tempted to buy all your tools at once. There is no requirement to purchase a "tool set." Invest in very good to excellent tools ONE AT A TIME OVER THE YEARS. Your trees will thank you for it. I accumulated all of my tools over 20 years. Good Japanese-made tools last a VERY long time. Cheap Chinese tools don't and you wind up buying cheap tools three or four times spending as much money as you would for a single decent Japanse tool...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Rockm,

Buy once, cry once. ;)

We have a saying in woodworking that buying cheap tools is very expensive. With cheap tools, you waste time, destroy your work and end up buying a replacement (upgrade) tool and more wood :D . It seems universal when it comes to tools.

Top Bottom