New to Bonsai need help!!!

Grin869

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, I've recently been given a Bonsai for my birthday from my son. When I got it, it was full of life and very bushy (as you would expect). I've followed all the instructions on watering, feeding, pruning etc, but it just seems to be doing off at the top. At the bottom it seems to have regular new growth, but there is nothing from the middle up. What is wrong with it? How do I/can I encourage new growth at the top?

Would really appreciate the advice of the experienced on this forum.

Thanks in advance

Glyn

Attachments

• B7F988DC-25BF-4849-90A1-C4A0F707A3C3.jpeg
    B7F988DC-25BF-4849-90A1-C4A0F707A3C3.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 5390F731-166E-47E5-8A7F-B8E4A4DE547C.jpeg
    5390F731-166E-47E5-8A7F-B8E4A4DE547C.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 72

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you keeping it indoors? If so, that's most likely to be the biggest issue.

The soil it is in doesn't look great, either. Looks compacted and too much like potting soil (either wrong soil was used to begin with or it broke down).

Where do you live?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The soil looks pretty nasty. Fine particles can be difficult to manage because it is hard to water properly - often stays too wet and roots can die. If it does dry out it can be hard to get properly wet again and the plant can suffer from dehydration.
The top part of the trunk looks quiet dead so unlikely anything can be done to make that part grow again but that's OK because it was not very attractive IMHO. You now have a chance to grow a better bonsai from the new lower shoots if you can solve the problem of why it has died off.

You have been following the instructions on watering but you haven't spelled out what those instructions are. Watering cannot be scheduled on a calendar. Every place is different so watering must be adapted to suit your own conditions rather than blindly following what the nursery does in their climate and conditions.
Most bonsai do far better outside. you haven't told us what species this one is. looks a bit like Chinese Quince from those photos but knowing the tree can help.
Your climate zone will also help get better advice so add a location to your profile to get better tailored advice.

Grin869

Seedling
Reaction score
Are you keeping it indoors? If so, that's most likely to be the biggest issue.

The soil it is in doesn't look great, either. Looks compacted and too much like potting soil (either wrong soil was used to begin with or it broke down).

Where do you live?
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I live in the UK, so temperature outside is getting cooler now (10-17c). It was bought from a proper Bonsai seller. I agree the soil does look compacted. Is it worth repotting?

Regards

Glyn

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's too weak to repot.

Too late to go outside proper.

Not too late to water correctly, that may save it.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't even call the muck it is in soil. Re potting possibly could save it but it looks pretty far gone. This didn't happen overnight. You should have come here sooner.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I think its a Sageretia theezans, its a tropical species and a very sensitive and "temperamental" like Serissas, its tricky to keep them alive, I recomend you species like Ficus, Chinese elm or Chinese privet

Grin869

Seedling
Reaction score
It's too weak to repot.

Too late to go outside proper.

Not too late to water correctly, that may save it.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
I've read you can submerge in water until the bubbles stop. Is it worth doing this?
Thanks

Grin869

Seedling
Reaction score
I wouldn't even call the muck it is in soil. Re potting possibly could save it but it looks pretty far gone. This didn't happen overnight. You should have come here sooner.
As per my original post I am new to this and was following the instructions provided. I've only had this bonsai for 3 months so don't feel I have left it ages. I came here for advice, not criticism.

Grin869

Seedling
Reaction score
The soil looks pretty nasty. Fine particles can be difficult to manage because it is hard to water properly - often stays too wet and roots can die. If it does dry out it can be hard to get properly wet again and the plant can suffer from dehydration.
The top part of the trunk looks quiet dead so unlikely anything can be done to make that part grow again but that's OK because it was not very attractive IMHO. You now have a chance to grow a better bonsai from the new lower shoots if you can solve the problem of why it has died off.

You have been following the instructions on watering but you haven't spelled out what those instructions are. Watering cannot be scheduled on a calendar. Every place is different so watering must be adapted to suit your own conditions rather than blindly following what the nursery does in their climate and conditions.
Most bonsai do far better outside. you haven't told us what species this one is. looks a bit like Chinese Quince from those photos but knowing the tree can help.
Your climate zone will also help get better advice so add a location to your profile to get better tailored advice.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your comments.

I've added my location as suggested (UK). The tree is a Sageretia theezans (Chinese Sweet Plum).

The watering instructions were: check daily and if the soil is turning light brown them to water. The soil should be slightly damp to the touch.

So if the upper part is dead, how do I confirm this? If it is dead so I just cut it off?
Thanks for your help.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've read you can submerge in water until the bubbles stop. Is it worth doing this?
Thanks

It may need the opposite.

You ought be able to safely shtick some toothpicks in there to see what the soil is like.

Surely top it off with something more coarse.

Sorce

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
"Indoor" bonsai are very hard to keep, especially if you have no knowledge of little potted trees.

And yes, the soil looks terrible, not a very good sign for its future life...

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When you water what happens? Does water run off, soak in, take a minute to soak in? I would bet this thing is somewhat root bound and needs a repotting. Someone here from the U.K. could tell you where to get soil. For the rest of the folks here, can he repot an indoor one any time of the year? I assume since dormancy isn't an issue that repotting time is all year?

Grin869

Seedling
Reaction score
When you water what happens? Does water run off, soak in, take a minute to soak in? I would bet this thing is somewhat root bound and needs a repotting. Someone here from the U.K. could tell you where to get soil. For the rest of the folks here, can he repot an indoor one any time of the year? I assume since dormancy isn't an issue that repotting time is all year?

Hi, the water does run off then seem to sit there and take a long time to drain through. Judging by a lot of the comments I've received here it does look like the soil is partly responsible and it sounds like it's unlikely that it will survive if I just leave it. I don't think I've got anything to lose if I get some good quality soil and repot??

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As per my original post I am new to this and was following the instructions provided. I've only had this bonsai for 3 months so don't feel I have left it ages. I came here for advice, not criticism.
Sorry you misconstrued that as criticism as it was certainly not intended as such. I understand your plight but you need to understand that as someone new to this, if you see a problem jump on it. Three months is a terribly long time for a tropical plant in distress. If you had gotten in touch sooner you probably could have saved it, but now I feel it is water under the bridge. If the plant was mine I would pull it out of the pot to see if there is any live roots. If there is, put it in an inorganic mix or something like perlite and water it with one teaspoon hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water.
I don't mean this to sound sarcastic, but if you think my gentle suggestion was criticism, then your journey is more perilous than you think.
I sincerely wish you the best.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Hello mate, Get some soil from Kaizen Bonsai. Their number 2 mix seems to be a good all rounder. Saying that, they have a I don’t know the species really but from what i’ve read it shouldn’t dry out at all and if the water is running off then soak it until water is absorbed then it will accept watering more readily. Think runoff on baked earth. Moisture won’t penetrate and the roots will be getting nothing. Put in on your brightest window sill and keep it warm.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Uh? That didnt send right. I was going to say they have a Shohin soil for smaller trees which may be better.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How old is the Son?

This might be a good time for a little economics lesson.

Some asshole is selling this shit that was never going to live, and children's spirits are being ruined because of it.

Best to teach em that cold hard lesson.
People Suck!

Sorce

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
As prenumbra stated, I would very gently
Remove from pot to get it out of that grave
Of a potting situation it is in.
shake, tap,rattle and pull gently out trying not to deliver any further damage to any living roots.
Let as much muck drop off and put back in a
Well draiNing bonsai soil. Some o2 maybe the life saver.
Watch, water correctly, give it love and affection. wet tongue kisses will give it the will to survive.
I feel like this can make it.
Just a feeling. 😛

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I live in the UK, so temperature outside is getting cooler now (10-17c). It was bought from a proper Bonsai seller. I agree the soil does look compacted. Is it worth repotting?

Regards

Glyn

I'd say you will need to make a decision. If you think you can nurse the tree slowly back to health then you can leave it in the existing soil. If you think it is going to die anyway then you might as well try a repot.

I had a similar decision earlier this year. I had a brazilian raintree that took a nosedive in February. My assessment was that it was likely an issue with the soil. BRTs prefer to be repotted in summer but in my opinion it was going to die anyway so I repotted it in early spring. I don't recall if it was March or April but it was still quite cold. I then spent the next couple of months absolutely babying it. Watch the temperature, out in the sun during the day if it was warm, in every night. I did that for April, May, June. Finally in June it showed one crack of green. Then it warmed up and the tree ended up fully recovering. But it was a crapshoot and took a lot of work on my part. Are you willing to do that?

Oh, and I was right. When I repotted I discovered that the middle of the rootball was soggy and dripping but the outside of it was bone dry. Worst of both worlds all caused by bad soil.

Top Bottom