New to Bonsai, need some advice- Ficus Religiosa

elighm

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, I have been interested in the art of Bonsai for a little while now and have finally decided to get into it. Me and my dad found this Ficus Religiosa in a palm tree next to a large Religiosa we had in our yard. We think it is a around 4-5 years old and was already stunted in size from where it was grown. Not sure how it got there but we got it out a couple years ago and has been in the pot ever since. Now we think it is a good start for a Bonsai but not entirely sure on the basics. As far as getting a shallower pot, pruning the branches and the roots, and potentially trunk chopping is what we have read. Really unsure and would be really appreciative of any advice. Also what is a good age to start doing all of these different techniques to get it to a smaller size. Also have a larger one that is a little bigger and looks like can be used for making others from the trimmings. Again any help would be awesome and much appreciated.

Attachments

• 63319945419__2BCE52C1-92B7-4313-95B2-18036F5D0651.jpg
    63319945419__2BCE52C1-92B7-4313-95B2-18036F5D0651.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 56

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Are you sure that's a ficus?

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It’s a young one. I would let it grow for a couple of years in gradually larger containers, working the roots to remove downward or crossing roots. Feed it and give it a ton of light. You’re lucky to be in a warm, humid climate where it will grow relatively fast.

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have an F religiosa grown outside for 15 and barely grown at all. But a cutting grown in a hot house has more wood on it in one season. With high temps and humidity, it’ll grow fast, out on lots of wood and aerial roots. I live in a temperate, Mediterranean climate. Someone in the tropics could expect vigorous growth, thick wood in no time.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

This type of "stunted in size" isn't really what you are looking for, this, stunted from the roots up.

You want to find things completely unstunted in the roots, which grows very strong, but is kept "stunted" by external forces from above, lawn mowers, goats, iguanas, burmese pythons, etc...

That will be the short squat stunted to stunt on.

Not that it will take long for that to grow, but maybe take a larger airlayer off that main one.

Crazy comes on Multiples!

Sorce

Top Bottom