new to bonsai nut forum and in raising my bonsai tree: all help appreciated.

robin214

Seed
Reaction score
I'm worried about my bonsai now that cold weather is setting in. I have my junipers in my built in back porch and it's not heated, my question is. if I put a heater in my back room just to keep the temperature around 40 - 45. Will this be safe for them once the outside dips to single digits?
Right now. I want to keep them protected as much as I can, but I don't want to roast them either, I also have Christmas cactus in the same room, but I can bring those inside if needed.:)
thank you everyone.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm worried about my bonsai now that cold weather is setting in. I have my junipers in my built in back porch and it's not heated, my question is. if I put a heater in my back room just to keep the temperature around 40 - 45. Will this be safe for them once the outside dips to single digits?
Right now. I want to keep them protected as much as I can, but I don't want to roast them either, I also have Christmas cactus in the same room, but I can bring those inside if needed.:)
thank you everyone.

You actually want to make sure on a warm winter day the room doesn't get to hot. I doubt the cold would bother it much at all. Many winter them outdoors. And in cold frames and such...I have had no luck with juniper...feeling my down fall was it warming to much in winter in the enclosed gazebo it was kept.

What is your location...filling it out will also help ones advise you.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should be ok if protected from wind and not allowed to dry completely or sit wet.

Sorce

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Robin, we don't know where you live, so it is hard to advise. Junipers are capable of living under very cold conditions, so unless you live in the far northern USA or central Canada, you likely can keep them outdoors with no problem.

Please modify your profile to tell us the general area where you live.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you have an unheated room where they are located, and do not put a heater in there, you might have a good situation for them already. You want junipers to have a cold dormancy period, they can literally freeze all winter and be perfectly fine. Your biggest problem with keeping them in an enclosed situation that may have windows, is that you'll get heat buildup in that room during warmer and sunnier days. You don't want the plant to wake from dormancy, so the room will need to stay below 40 or so to keep that from happening. If you live in any climate that isn't super harsh winter conditions, then outside protected from wind and sun can be the safest simplest solution.

Please fill in your location in your profile, so we can help you better, and welcome to the forum.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess we could all offer generalities on the care of your Bonsai but would it not be easier for us to offer more accurate advice if you took the time to post your USDA zone ? I bet that if you did someone here within your state and perhaps your neighbor would chime in on area specific advice for you .

Junipers do need a cold period, just do not tell the Juni's that are grown and raised in Florida or Georgia or the many great Juniper Bonsai that originate from Taiwan with its average 72 degrees year round temps... Just do not let them freeze solid as that will kill anything.

ed

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess we could all offer generalities on the care of your Bonsai but would it not be easier for us to offer more accurate advice if you took the time to post your USDA zone ? I bet that if you did someone here within your state and perhaps your neighbor would chime in on area specific advice for you .

Junipers do need a cold period, just do not tell the Juni's that are grown and raised in Florida or Georgia or the many great Juniper Bonsai that originate from Taiwan with its average 72 degrees year round temps... Just do not let them freeze solid as that will kill anything.

ed

All of my trees freeze solid. For months. Not trying to disagree but it's the truth.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Guys I really do not want to have this argument again, if a tree freezes solid its dead. Native trees rarely freeze solid in the ground, if they were too they would be dead. Your Bonsai soil may freeze, your bonsai may get covered with ice but if its frozen solid the tissue cells expand and burst and they die. Keeping it on the ground mulched in during freezing weather is not frozen solid as heat emanates from the earth. Native trees in the ground can survive the ground freezing as most their roots are below the frozen soil which rarely freezes to 1 foot depth. I had this argument last winter here and provided links from The U.S. Forestry service and the Canadian Forestry service which explained this showing trees damaged and destroyed when the ground froze below the normal frost line and suffered root damage and in some cases (younger trees, shallower root systems) died from freezing. Then t\o refute me someone here posted a link to Brent from Evergreen Gardenworks which literally said the same thing believe it or not.

Instead of offering opinions based on misconceptions why don't you take one of your Bonsai and place it into your freezer until the roots burst and the trunk cracks and see how well it does next spring.

ed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I may do that.

I cant take a stance. Both seem reasomable.

Pretty sure mime froze solid last winter.

Sorce

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I may do that.

I cant take a stance. Both seem reasomable.

Pretty sure mime froze solid last winter.

Sorce

I can guarantee they did not freeze solid if they are alive now...

Do not believe me, here is the link to Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overwint.htm, a respectable Bonsai and pre-bonsai dealer. He gives detailed explanations and repeatedly explains how to protect them from freezing solid while explaining the difference in the soil freezing or ice forming on the upper portions of your plant.

ed

Top Bottom