New to bonsai - Saying hello

RG81

Seed
Reaction score
Just wanted to say Hi as I am new to the bonsai world. I recently purchased a juniper and elm bonsai to start my new quest. I am located in Bethel CT and look forward to being part of this forum. I have long been into the Saltwater hobby and most recently decided to take on the bonsai hobby as well. After quite a bit of research I settled on on the juniper and Chinese elm bonsai. Both trees are roughly 10-15 years old. I will post some pictures in the coming days and look forward to being a part of the forum.

Thanks

Rich

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome Rich.
Sounds like when you researched you did it well. The 2 trees you bought are some of the best for beginners and advanced bonsai practitioners alike.
Can't wait to see the pictures.
Once again welcome.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Welcome. Just FYI, both may have come from the vendor marked "indoor trees" but both will do better for you outside, though the elm especially will need some winter protection.

RG81

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome. Just FYI, both may have come from the vendor marked "indoor trees" but both will do better for you outside, though the elm especially will need some winter protection.

My plan is to keep them outside and eventually bring them inside for the winter. What's the best practice for this ? How long should I leave them out in the fall so they can get winterized ?

RG81

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome Rich.
Sounds like when you researched you did it well. The 2 trees you bought are some of the best for beginners and advanced bonsai practitioners alike.
Can't wait to see the pictures.
Once again welcome.

Thanks

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
My plan is to keep them outside and eventually bring them inside for the winter. What's the best practice for this ? How long should I leave them out in the fall so they can get winterized ?

"Inside" is a very poor location for wintering bonsai. It will be far better if you kept them in an unheated garage. Othewise, indoor temps are likely to make them anticipate spring and burst into leaf. And, the very dry indoor atmosphere (central heating!) is very bad for bonsai. They both need cold/freezing or near-freezing temps for a considerable period in winter.

RG81

Seed
Reaction score
"Inside" is a very poor location for wintering bonsai. It will be far better if you kept them in an unheated garage. Othewise, indoor temps are likely to make them anticipate spring and burst into leaf. And, the very dry indoor atmosphere (central heating!) is very bad for bonsai. They both need cold/freezing or near-freezing temps for a considerable period in winter.

Thanks for the advice. Keeping in the garage for winter isn't a problem. However couple of questions.

How late in the season should I keep it outside in elements before bringing them in ?

Does it matter if there is no direct sunlight for the plants being in the garage for the winter ?

Anything else I need to know for winter conditions ?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The elm will need to most winter protection. When nighttime temps get down to the low 20s, it probably could get brought into th garage.

The juniper could stay outside all winter except briefly for truly Arctic cold. Snow (remember that stuff from last year?) is a great insulator.The elm (deciduous) will need not light (but should not be allowed to get totally dry).

Top Bottom