new to bonsai trees but love them

Reaction score
HI all i have 3 bonsai trees at the min and i have mange to kill one previously.
can you all give me tips on how to make them survive the winter i have them in doors and i keep reading diffent things i need to do to help them survive

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the nut house, it would help if you put what zone you live in and where so we know how your winters are, also it would be helpful to know the species of trees your caring for so we know if they need to be indoors or outdoors with protection from winter.

Reaction score
I live in Manchester England and I have a Chinese elm 2ed is a type of Rhododendron bonsai and the 3rd I'm not sure it has red leaves and grows little pink flowers

Attachments

• 20151019_175343.jpg
    20151019_175343.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Hi, all trees are meant to be outside somewhere in the world. Both of your trees will do better outside for sure. With the wet winter coming along it might be best to overwinter them indoors for the moment since they are not hardened. Probably will get some yellowing leaves. The mix where it is in for the moment might be to water holding when outside. So next spring, do a gentle (because you are new) repot (chose a good draining mix) and place them outside after last frost. They look healthy for the moment. Have fun.

Reaction score
Most people don't. Doing it with mild liquid organic fertilizer does however improve the buds a lot, making the spring more explosive. Depends on your goal. Think about what soil you are using.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Right tree is lorapetalum.
They should be outside, with some protection from temps much below freezing. In that setting, there's no need to feed in winter. If you're keeping them inside on the coffee table, they won't be healthy for more than a few months.

Reaction score
I don't keep them on the table just for the picture it's normally inside in front of a window I put them outside when it gets sunny intervals live in a flat so don't have a garden and got them to be inside. I'm just using the soil they come in??

Last edited:

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next time maby look into what species your getting before you buy it. If it's not a tropical weather plant most likely it needs to take a long nap for the winter .... just like the trees out side your home.

Reaction score
The one on the left and the one on the right said inside on the info tag I don't mind them going dormant for winter as long as they don't die

Top Bottom