New to bonsai - where to purchase affordable and more mature Japanese maple

chapgary

Seed
Reaction score
I didnt really get into collecting trees until this year mainly because I have always lived in a city or a town, now that I am out in the woods, its great. I also didn't know what to look for until after I went to about 3 shows. I go hiking about 2-3 times a week and I look at trees completely different now than I did before.
I'm interested in collecting in the wild also. What would be some good species to consider collecting for bonsai?

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Greetings, Wanderer! Round the bend lies the Tiny Forest. The rhythm there will cause obsessive undulation. Prepare yourself, the Woody Dwarves are readying the ceremony.

You’ve found a wellspring of shared knowledge and gathered experience.. all communal, of course. Drink when you are thirsty, give when you can.
Are you shroomin?😂😂😂

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Peter Chan is hated on by a lot of bonsai elite here in the states, but I really enjoy his knowledge on maples and follow his layering advice to the t.
Honestly I've never heard anyone hate on Peter Chan. You'd have to try pretty hard to find something bad to say about him.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Are you shroomin?😂😂😂

Although I spent many years as an Astral-Naut.. and love the things that the rotating, constantly morphing ball of “flesh” that is the infinite capability of the mind TEACHES us in such scenarios.....

Mushrooms couldn’t handle ME, these days.

🤣🤓🤣

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm interested in collecting in the wild also. What would be some good species to consider collecting for bonsai?

You should have an easy time locating Carpinus caroliniana to dig up. Before I knew any better, I bare rooted and trunk chopped a tree upon collection. I basically had a stump with zero fine feeder roots. It's still alive today.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ive been collecting hemlock but on my next collecting adventure i am thinking of grabbing a hornbeam and a european beech

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Honestly I've never heard anyone hate on Peter Chan. You'd have to try pretty hard to find something bad to say about him.
I know of at least one person on these forums that thinks he is a hack. And to "stop wasting my time watching his videos". I love Peter Chan, I hope to one day have a nursery like his.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@natg - Check out Maruyama and Lotus, both in Sac. Others have mentioned Lone Pine and Evergreen, which are also good. Lone Pine has regular hours and distributes to many local nurseries in our area. You can contact Evergreen to visit in person and they have great shipping, especially for us because we are so close.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Few others have mentioned Lone Pine Gardens, which is fantastic, esp. for pre-bonsai material. They have been open throughout the pandemic.

Encinal is great for soil mixes. If you go looking for bonsai material - speak to someone at the desk.

For CA especially, would reach out to local bonsai clubs and read newsletters. Hard to top a club event for material.

I've ordered trees from Evergreen Gardenworks and Mendocino Maples - always pleased with results. Different experience than going in person.

Top Bottom