New to bonsai, would like some feed back!.second attempt...

Mrep75

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,
Definitely bitten by the bonsai bug, had another crack at it today, resently bought a juniperus chinesis goldkissen,was a little unsure as what to do with it so just went for it and seen were it lead..

Attachments

• 20171015_110654.jpg
    20171015_110654.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20171015_110703.jpg
    20171015_110703.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 79
  • 20171015_155820.jpg
    20171015_155820.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20171015_155826.jpg
    20171015_155826.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 20171015_155836.jpg
    20171015_155836.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20171015_155842.jpg
    20171015_155842.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 20171015_160045.jpg
    20171015_160045.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20171015_160053.jpg
    20171015_160053.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 83

Mrep75

Seedling
Reaction score
Not in depth no, only what I've seen/read in a book I bought ans various forums and the obvious you tube videos..

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

Considering this is one of your first attempts, I'd say you did a great job! My two comments:

(1) The branch on your trunk that is opposite of your descending branch creates a bad bar branch (it comes out of the trunk at the same level as your descending branch). I would remove it.
(2) On both your main trunk and your descending branch, you need to use heavier gauge wire and add a lot more movement - back and forth, up and down. Once you add more bends to the trunk and the descending branch, they will both become shorter and look bulkier.

I am not familiar with the cultivar... but it sounds like it might be a variegate with yellow tips of foliage (?) Could be very cool once it matures a little more!

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice!! You're off to a good start! I don't think I have ever seen nursery stock turned bonsai this good. Welcome!

Mrep75

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

Considering this is one of your first attempts, I'd say you did a great job! My two comments:

(1) The branch on your trunk that is opposite of your descending branch creates a bad bar branch (it comes out of the trunk at the same level as your descending branch). I would remove it.
(2) On both your main trunk and your descending branch, you need to use heavier gauge wire and add a lot more movement - back and forth, up and down. Once you add more bends to the trunk and the descending branch, they will both become shorter and look bulkier.

I am not familiar with the cultivar... but it sounds like it might be a variegate with yellow tips of foliage (?) Could be very cool once it matures a little more!
Hi and thanks for your comments, I'll be honest I don't know a great deal about the cultivar I like the look of it whilst I was wandering around a local garden centre.

I think I know which branch you mean, that larger of the two at the Base of the main trunk? By removing this branch, this then separates the two sections of the tree, is that the idea?..
The wiring not the best I know and I did add extra onto the cascading branch, I didnt want to go to mad bending it, when I started to clean up the tree prior to adding any wire or even style it I noticed there was a slight split were the two main trunks were attached, idi do a repair on it by inserting a small screw,covered the outer seem with a sealing resign and bounty it tightly with wire, it seemed to hold quite well whilst bending etc so hopefully it will heal ok. I may add a heavier wire and see if I can add a little more movement.

Mrep75

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice!! You're off to a good start! I don't think I have ever seen nursery stock turned bonsai this good. Welcome!
Thanks, appreciate your comment, took me about 5hrs, only takes 20 mins on you tube lol, most material I have is nursery stock, although I have purchased a nuber of seedlings around 2 years old, larch and siberian elms, have also started to grow seeds aswell(in it for the long haul),plenty to practice with ..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Real nice.

I would look to ditch the cascade eventually...(years)...

That slanted upright joint looks killer.

Sorce

Mrep75

Seedling
Reaction score
So, if you are familiar with basic styles, have you picked a style for this tree?
I really like the shape and design of the tree in your profile pic (your own creation?), if I could produce something along those lines with it I would be happy, suppose I had a cascade in mind will there being the long branches, think if I'm honest I just added the wire, bent and snipped were the tree lead me.

Mrep75

Seedling
Reaction score
Real nice.

I would look to ditch the cascade eventually...(years)...

That slanted upright joint looks killer.

Sorce
When you loose the cascade you mean fully or cut back ? If so to create an new 1st branch orca Jin ?? I really am open to suggestions/options on how to progress and what to look for when styling..

moss

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The stock you purchased looks great. I wish you luck in keeping them nice and healthy!

Hopefully by now you've binged and researched for some examples of more refined junipers- It may tell you what you should aspire for or what limitations you have.

Aside from keeping them alive and growing, I think your focus should be in scale and proportion.

After learning more about the cultivar- substrate/light/feed/etc requirements, in time, you should have a better grasp of the fun you'll have with your trees.

(BTW, this cultivar was one my many failed experiments- I made the mistake of taking too much off the roots and bare rooting them deep into summer)

Good luck and learn as much as you can.
Search: Juniper Sinensis

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you loose the cascade you mean fully or cut back ? If so to create an new 1st branch orca Jin ?? I really am open to suggestions/options on how to progress and what to look for when styling..

20171017_052147.jpg

Something in there is swell. (In years)

Nice friggin patio!

Everytime you repot....
Try and get it into a pot a little wider and shorter.

Sorce

Mrep75

Seedling
Reaction score
Haha nice editing, yeah I see what you mean now, I've been rethinking about possibly turning the them branches into Jin. Cheers Souce appreciate your comments..and the patio still a work in progress

Top Bottom