New to bonsai would like some feedback on a Tecome capensis (Cape Honeysuckle)

boratjan

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys my first post on this site (or any Bonsai site for that matter). I have always liked Bonsai but this is my first year trying to make my own trees (mainly from garden centre stock). I Chopped up this Tecome capensis (Cape Honeysuckle) it is native to South Africa where I live. Tell me if the branching structure looks fine and or if there is anything I should plan for the tree in the future.

Thanks

JanDSC01616.jpg

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
sounds like you live in a cool country:cool: honeysuckle is not a great bonsai subject + will always look like a bush.Iwould start with a ficus [natal fig, red leaf rockfig or common wild fig] or acacia [galpinii or burkei].Buy something a few years old,cut the main stem right back + leave the roots for the first few months.the time is RIGHT NOW.....

boratjan

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice though the garden centres in the area I live lack ficus plants. I can easily get trident maples, privet, firethorn, cotoneaster also some junpiter horizontalis( dont know if its any good?) and such. How hard would these types of trees/ plants be?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have grown several of these honeysuckle for bonsai. I might offer these considerations:
1) Repotting in the Spring. The soil most often used in in bonsai is very quick draining without as much organic material as is usually found in potting soil. You can find a lot of ideas about bonsai potting soils on the Internet. Also, I think it might need to be planted a bit deeper in the pot although it is hard to tell in the photo.
2) There are a lot of branches going in a lot of directions. I would cut it way back and simplify the visual movement of the trunk. This would entail cutting it back and looking at a boring stump for one or two growing seasons, but actually my honeysuckle is one of my fastest growing bonsai.

It looks as if you've planted it with the trunk at an angle which adds visual interest, you have a good eye. I've posted a photo of what I would do to the plant. It looks drastic I know, but I'm planning ahead for year three.honeysuckle.jpg

boratjan

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. I think I will give it a try. We are currently sitting in early summer- summer in my country should I chop it down now or wait? also I assume it will bud on the old wood right?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the idea. I think I will give it a try. We are currently sitting in early summer- summer in my country should I chop it down now or wait? also I assume it will bud on the old wood right?

I'll confess that even though I cut mine way back, I did not cut it back as the example I presented. But mine flourished and grows year-round in our mild climate.

boratjan

Seedling
Reaction score
Would it be safer then for me to do it in stages perhaps remove one end and then the other once new leaves have formed on the cut area?

Top Bottom