New to bonsai

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First post. New to bonsai I showed interest and about 2 months ago I was given some seeds and a bonsai kit. I have 11 seedlings going 5 bristlecone pine and 6 black spruce have sprouted so far. I am also looking into buying some older trees or seedlings in the meantime until they get older. I know from reading these kind of trees should be outside should I wait until they older and michigan winter is over before I move them outside? Any advice for a noob appreciated.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These need protected from the winter for sure. First snow fall would snuff them out. I know you will want to keep them inside b iui t I'll defer to someone that has more experience working with seedlings.

And welcome to the crazy!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would have been best to germinate the seeds late winter in preparation for spring. As it is you have a long time to attempt to keep them healthy and it will be a challenge but not impossible. You need a good plant light and a warm high humidity area at the very least.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When would be good to move outside temperature wise when spring hits?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As soon as possible, when temperature is above freezing. You want them to adjust to the sun before the end of spring, otherwise they're likely to burn up from the intense light.
Bristlecones and spruces are pretty hardy by default.

But first things first: keep them alive indoors, that's a tough one for conifers no matter what.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the hobby! As mentioned above, this time of year you'd do best protecting those seeds by investing in a grow light such as a T5 bulb. Here is the one I use for my indoor tropicals, not too expensive and works well. https://www.amazon.com/4lamps-DL844...?keywords=t5+grow+light&qid=1577139356&sr=8-5

You may also want to get some bottom heat to encourage roots such as a seedling mat.

Try not to let the humidity get below 60% a humidity dome or humidifier in the room would help. Good luck!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Nice to see some spruce seeds started.

This isn't far from the time a lot of folks started their seed for the pine contest, lotta information In those threads.

The ones I planted early died, yours may, just pay good attention so you can do better come spring.

Spring will come, and you will do better.

Nice!

Sorce

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I started veggies in our cellar a few years ago, using a shop light. I found they did best with the light right above them, like a few inches at most. If you see leggie growth, think more light
Brent

Attachments

• 2EF64078-28DA-437D-B99F-90C0299CC4E6.jpeg
    2EF64078-28DA-437D-B99F-90C0299CC4E6.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update: Spent the last few months just working on the seedlings and bought a few older seedlings. I did get a grow light after it was suggested they all seem to be doing well. Think some of the bristlecone will have to go into a bigger pot the roots are coming out the bottom of the starter tray.
My first 4 prebonsai that I bought are starting to arrive. Will update as i get them. First is a black dragon crytomeria.279064279065279066

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One of the others is the northern hi lights azalea I posted for the contest. Then the last two are still on the way. They are itoigawa juniper and tiny leaf linden.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My Juniper and linden arrived. The linden was just a smaller starter. The crytpomeria, azalea and juniper will at least give me 3 trees to start working with in spring.280374280375

Top Bottom