New to bonsai

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
bonsai helped me make peace with my local climate and eventually flora. I used to grow tropical fruits for fun but hated all the cool/cold months of the year. I day dreamed about moving south every single day. But now I look forward to repotting in march, buds bursting in April, crazy growth through summer, beautiful fall colors, and winter silhouettes. I make a big checklist of bonsai chores to get me through the winter too. Life is a lot better if you learn to love what you have, insted of pretending that something else will make you happy. It took me another few years after that to stop wishing for "better" native trees or slightly different climate to grow. I've embraced my local hardwood forests and use the native big leaf trees as inspiration for my bench as opposed to material for collecting.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Why do I love bonsai?......
Hmmm.....

I think I like the challenge and the artistry.
Endless possibilities.....your imagination is the limit.
....but its difficult. Its not simple or easy to make a high quality bonsai....hope I can get there some day.

Its a tough, fun and beautiful way to spend my time.

Anonymouse

Sapling
Reaction score
Bonsai has changed me in SO many ways. I learned the species of trees near me, being patient, That it will take over my life and all I care for... Anyways welcome to the Nut house!

tainoson

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i've always been a sucker for trees, always more at home in the woods and rivers than anywhere else. i think the sorcery of bonsai brings the massive majesty of trees down to eye-level. it's also given me something new to nerd-out over; i love finding zen in complexity. finding the why of the how.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Recently got in to bonsai and I find it extremely relaxing and pleasing. I was wondering what other people love about bonsai
I’ve always been a fan from afar and always had a green thumb making hot sauce,growing peppers and fruit since I was 22...29 now..I make hot sauce as a side gig but expanding to growing trees hopefully soon.
I work full time and I enjoy my good career, but I’ve always gotten more enjoyment in life outside of work obviously...it may be your only hobby, side gig or one of many
I love pines and maples. The awesome part is the pots don’t take up too much room. As in my case , the backyard has a lot of room. When you get more plants , you can always design your garden, how the benches are built, your landscaping/ backyard can be reflective of Bonsai too.

Youll never look at trees the same again, taking a hike in the mountains is the best inspiration, after all the trees in pots reflect the bigger ones in nature.

Bonsai for me and maybe other is that wabi sabi mentality of never perfect, permanent and never complete. Just remember, patience, artistic vision and imagination on how it will grow and develop in years to come. And if you’re good maybe expand it, there’s talent and then there’s just plain hard work. Don’t be disheartened by those beautiful ones you see online, theyre rare for a reason, but who knows with the right know how, you could get there and maybe find a yamadori one day.
On a personal note, I hope I have another 55 years to enjoy Bonsai and hopefully pass it to my kids and family one day.
Also know this ,with the proper care , your Bonsai will outlive you ,if you’re blessed to do so you can pass those trees on to loved ones who can hopefully care for them. It’s kind of beautiful to think about it like that. A living family tree or trees.

Last edited:

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like growing things and seeing what they'll turn into. Bonsai gives some direction and goals to that. I'm not sure if I'll ever have a "true" bonsai instead of an assortment of plants and trees that I plan to make into bonsai, and I don't mind that at all.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like growing things and seeing what they'll turn into. Bonsai gives some direction and goals to that. I'm not sure if I'll ever have a "true" bonsai instead of an assortment of plants and trees that I plan to make into bonsai, and I don't mind that at all.
For sure you will. If you continue to apply good technique over time, then your trees will grow into bonsai

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Challenging form of Artistic Expression presented in Living Medium with which you develop a Personal Relationship....

TinyTree “culture” lies at the “intersection” of MANY positive things I enjoy...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over and over Again... it's the People for me!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
I really like this answer but I had to give it some thought before I made an honest reply.
When I first got into bonsai, several decades ago, I was attracted to it for the very opposite reason. Looking at these "miniature landscapes" I could picture myself alone walking through them. It is a very similar feeling that I have when viewing a well done landscape painting. Or even being lost in viewing a scholar rock or suiseki. And very much like looking into a starry sky. Or sitting alone on a rock on a mountaintop in meditation. These are all personal things for me that are very very hard to share, though I have on occasion done so and formed bonds that will last a lifetime even when those people are gone.
But I also had an abiding love for plants of every sort and practiced some sort of horticultural practice since and before my first nursery job at 13.
I do love people and my level of compassion can be sometimes agonizing, but seeing as most refuse to follow the natural way makes me cling to my beliefs in a way that many would consider self centered. And to this I can say that I wish I was more centered in the self.
Today as I am working outside moving plants around and cleaning them up, I find myself sometimes walking and sometimes sitting beneath the branches of my little trees in contemplation.

Top Bottom