New to bonsai

Reaction score
Hello;
I'm new to this forum and new to bonsai. I bought this Scheflerra(sp?) 3 months ago. I keep it indoors near a window, and water it 3 or 4 times a week. I haven't given it any food yet, due to my lack of knowledge. I would appreciate input as to old this tree may be, and what and when you would do to this tree as it is right now. Thanks for helping a new guy get started.

Dave

bonsai002.jpg

bonsai005.jpg

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
your Schefflera looks to be a few years old. it probably grew up in the the florida sun (or maybe a greenhouse somewhere). it would appreciate you removing those rocks and placing it outside (assuming it's not freezing now where you live).

welcome to the forum

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would suggest checking the root ball and buying some soil components to repot the tree in as the soil its in now is probably staying too wet. You should also have this tree outdoors all summer unless the temps go to or below 55 degrees but that probably never happens in Florida :D Keep it in a location where it will get morning light and be shaded during the hottest period of the day assuming it likes partial shade.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Welcome to the Nut House, Dave. (I did have to chuckle at your username. No offense, but I told my wife you probably were poking gentle fun at yourself.)

You've gotten some good pointers. I would just add that if the tree is healthy (and in the pics it appears to be,) you should repot now if the soil isn't a good mix. Tropicals do best when repotted during warm/hot weather, because they're in active growth.

Scheffs are also known for throwing aerial roots if the the humidity is high enough. Those can look very cool.

Top Bottom