New to Durham NC, how to acclimate trees

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi, any members around Durham NC, I am seeking advice on how to acclimate my trees to that climate. I am moving from Cleveland Ohio (zone 5-6) to Durham in mid-July, I know it's probably a terrible time for the trees to get moved. Does anyone have specific advice on how to care for trees in that area? Also, does anyone more generally have experience moving a bonsai collection, and how to safely transport the trees? I have the following species: Norway Spruce, Zelkova, Kingsville Boxwood, American Hornbeam, Mugo Pine, Privet, and Crepe Myrtle.

Thanks!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
At that time of year, I don't think there will be much difference between the climate of Ohio and North Carolina. Milder winters in NC, certainly, but the summers are probably pretty similar.

I am not an expert on moving trees, but the only time I have had to move with a large number, I simply stacked them all up in a rental van. The drive from Cleveland to Raleigh can be done in a single day, so most trees won't notice a change as long as you have somewhere to set them up when you arrive.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I actually think the summers are quite a bit hotter in NC. My family members who have moved there in recent years have said it's beastly hot compared to Cleveland. Maybe that's just their subjective evaluation? Could be.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I moved a 26 foot moving van full of trees from southeastern Massachusetts to North Georgia on the hottest day of the year back in 2009… June 25 to the 26th. It was 96°. The trees didn’t skip a beat. You might provide some afternoon shade for any of the deciduous trees, but that’s all you’ll probably need to do

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’d venture to say it’s at least noticeably hotter here than Ohio. My brother was there for a few weeks and was DYING when he came back lol. But the trees should be fine, If anything maybe shade if it’s exceptionally hot during move time.

Living Tribunal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If the temperature in NC is as what @clevetromba mentioned then your crepe myrtles should be quite happy. They grow fine anywhere as long as you pound them all day with sun :).

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I moved a 26 foot moving van full of trees from southeastern Massachusetts to North Georgia on the hottest day of the year back in 2009… June 25 to the 26th. It was 96°. The trees didn’t skip a beat. You might provide some afternoon shade for any of the deciduous trees, but that’s all you’ll probably need to do
I was concerned about the trees being in a hot moving van. Did you do anything to keep them cool in there?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I was concerned about the trees being in a hot moving van. Did you do anything to keep them cool in there?
I was concerned too, and would stop periodically along the drive, which took two days, to see what the temperatures were in the cargo area. They never really got much above air temperature.… Didn’t have to water either.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Crazy world, @clevetromba! I will be moving to the Wilmington, NC area from Cleveland this summer or possibly fall :) I'm very much looking to adding Crape Myrtles and other trees we can't grow as well here in Cleveland. Glad to hear trees can survive in the moving truck. I was picturing lining the back seat of my car with trees :|

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I didn’t realize Cleveland was so cool in the summer!

LOL so it looks like Cleveland is perhaps 2 degrees on average cooler than Durham NC for the months Jun-Aug :) I don't think the trees will notice the difference.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crazy world, @clevetromba! I will be moving to the Wilmington, NC area from Cleveland this summer or possibly fall :) I'm very much looking to adding Crape Myrtles and other trees we can't grow as well here in Cleveland. Glad to hear trees can survive in the moving truck. I was picturing lining the back seat of my car with trees :|
Are you in the Cleveland bonsai club? I don't recognize your username.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was concerned too, and would stop periodically along the drive, which took two days, to see what the temperatures were in the cargo area. They never really got much above air temperature.… Didn’t have to water either.
good to know. Thanks

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you in the Cleveland bonsai club? I don't recognize your username.
Yes. We've talked before :) The first time was when you brought in a Zelkova or elm. I just attended my final bonsai club meeting today. It was bittersweet.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Welcome to Durham, NC. The biggest challenge I've encountered is finding the proper place for my maples to winter so they get a proper dormancy.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
How do tridents do for you?
I don't currently have one. I killed the one I had, but that was my fault. I woke it up way too early the first two years I had it and it never woke up this year.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, my trees all made the move with no problems. I waited until evening of the night before I was set to make the drive, and then loaded them onto the back of the moving truck. I used drywall screws partially driven into the floor to immobilize them. All the trees seem happy here in North Carolina. My deciduous trees that I know are prone to wilting and my Norway spruce I placed in the yard where they receive afternoon shade. I haven't built tables yet so everything is sitting on the ground. I'll post a few pictures when I get the chance.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good luck in NC!

Reminder to change your location in your profile. ;)

Top Bottom