New to forum and bonsai in general

mook1178

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi!!

I have wanted to get into bonsai for a while. I was also introduced to orchids about the same time. I have been focusing on orchids for the past few years., though.

Well my wife got me a Satsuki Azalea from Brussels Bonsai and should be here tomorrow. I have been doing a lot more research in the last few days. A big question I have is winter care for the Satsuki and I can not seem to find an answer to my question.

I see that the low temp range is 35 F online. I live in zone 7 on the border of a/b. We get highs in the 30s in Jan/Feb. Will I need to bring this plant inside or can I set it on the ground and cover th pot and base with mulch? I have 3 azaleas growing in my yard, but bonsai and potted are different.

Thanks

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! If you add your location to your profile, you will get the best advice for your climate. I keep my Satsuki's in an unheated garage for the winter but we can get pretty cold here in IL.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi!!

I have wanted to get into bonsai for a while. I was also introduced to orchids about the same time. I have been focusing on orchids for the past few years., though.

Well my wife got me a Satsuki Azalea from Brussels Bonsai and should be here tomorrow. I have been doing a lot more research in the last few days. A big question I have is winter care for the Satsuki and I can not seem to find an answer to my question.

I see that the low temp range is 35 F online. I live in zone 7 on the border of a/b. We get highs in the 30s in Jan/Feb. Will I need to bring this plant inside or can I set it on the ground and cover th pot and base with mulch? I have 3 azaleas growing in my yard, but bonsai and potted are different.

Thanks
Depends on the variety of satsuki. Some cultivars are more winter hardy than others. Geographic location is important. Zone 7 a/b isn't really specific enough. Providing at least a state will help others (some who may be in your area)provide the best info.

Satsuki bonsai are a world all their own. They require specific care in timed pruning, repotting, etc.

If you want to get really good info, a new book is out this year by one of North America's satsuki experts. It provides detailed advice on a ton of stuff, including overwintering.

mook1178

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all

Thanks for the info already.

I am in Northern Delaware.

After reading up more, bringing it inside seems like a death wish. I will most likely put on the ground covered with mulch against the south side of the house. If it gets really cold, I could possibly move it to an unheated shed, with a seed mat set at 34F. However that shed does not get light during the day. I read that under 40F the plants do not need light. Is that true?

Top Bottom