New to Forum and was looking for advice

CalmBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello. I'm from The north of England and starting to dabble with bonsais and by dabble I mean buy a whole load of different maples and start growing and training them, but this is a long term plan as they're quite young!

Today however we found this in our back street. Probably a disacrded chrismas tree and I could be learning to run before I learn to walk here, but I was thinking of trying to wake this up and do another bonsai project. I think it's a California incense cedar. I'll probably need to shorten it but does anyone have any ideas or tips for a novice how to start.

Can I just put this into a container once I cut it and see what happens?

Thank you!

20220609_202746.jpeg

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As just getting started learning how to keep everything alive and how to over winter everything is the biggest hurdle. Learning all that you can as when to prune, when to re pot and when to wire. What soil is best for you and watering. There is lots of info here. If you can get a decent book or 2 that will help also.
The old Christmas tree dont look in the best of health. I wouldn't repot ot trim and wire it.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The biggest hurdle with that ex Christmas tree will be to convert from a tall telegraph pole into a tapered trunk suitable for bonsai. Most conifers don't sprout new shoots from older, bare wood so if you chop it shorter it is not likely to sprout new shoots. If you can get it growing strong again as it is there's a small chance of some shoots lower on the trunk that you could eventually chop back to but that still leaves the challenge of how to make the trump look good. It is possible but quite advanced techniques and styling ideas.
By all means if you have the room and the time keep it for practice to see how they respond to pruning and shaping but I can't see it becoming a good bonsai in the next few years.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally based largely on trunk and algae on trunk believe is Arborvitae however as said above no work just see if can keep alive and revive health for now. By recovery is meant likely 2 years at least until vibrant vigorous health is evident☺️.

CalmBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks like Yule waste your time on this.

Welcome to Crazy!

Burn it!

Let's see them maples!

Sorce
Nah I don't want to burn it. It needs to season for some years before that, ALSO the sap won't be good for the fire. That's why we "reclaimed" it from the back street in the first place but I said no. You really think its a waste if time?

Here are the maples.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 22

CalmBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
The biggest hurdle with that ex Christmas tree will be to convert from a tall telegraph pole into a tapered trunk suitable for bonsai. Most conifers don't sprout new shoots from older, bare wood so if you chop it shorter it is not likely to sprout new shoots. If you can get it growing strong again as it is there's a small chance of some shoots lower on the trunk that you could eventually chop back to but that still leaves the challenge of how to make the trump look good. It is possible but quite advanced techniques and styling ideas.
By all means if you have the room and the time keep it for practice to see how they respond to pruning and shaping but I can't see it becoming a good bonsai in the next few years.
Thank you. I'm sensing a general consenus about this and i'm probably trying to walk before I can even crawl. I'll have a think about it and see what else we could do with the wood, I just don't want to burn it!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does it have roots?

I reckon you could make it quite the bitchin novelty sort of ordeal. Where the tree is the cliff, the tree is hanging from.

But if it ain't got roots.....

Sorce

CalmBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks like Yule waste your time on this.

Welcome to Crazy!

Burn it!

Let's see them maples!

Sorce
By the way I did see what you did there, I feel like you've used that one before ;)

CalmBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Does it have roots?

I reckon you could make it quite the bitchin novelty sort of ordeal. Where the tree is the cliff, the tree is hanging from.

But if it ain't got roots.....

Sorce
That was my vision!!! no roots though. I could keep it as a future retirement hobby in a few decades and see what it does in the mean time...

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
People don't typically make bonsai from pre-cut off limbs...or trunks 😂 I think it may be a tad past "root as a cutting" size.

Top Bottom