New to forum, Bonsai cultivation, and Olive question.

docb91b

Seed
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum, bonsai gardening, and I already have a question :D

I just purchased this nice Olive bonsai and I am clueless about where to start.. first cut is the hardest I think.

I live in southern California and plan to keep this bonsai outside. I have attached pics of her current appearance. I have put a penny next to her for a size comparison. Should i start cutting back some of the leaves on the middle of the three branches? Should I let her grow awhile? I am afraid of messing her up!!

Your help is appreciated.

D

Attachments

• IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 38

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doc its a Bonsai only in the simplest form of the word, a tree in a pot. The ones that size are usually referred to as a "stick in a pot" I don't want to dissuade you, but if you want to make it look like anything nice it needs to grow for many years in that pot, or put it in the ground. Where you live in the ground it could grow practically year around and would probably be worth styling and working on in 4-5 years.

Get yourself some big-box store (cheap) nursery junipers or boxwoods, even azaleas. Then cut them back, chop 'em off, wire the hell out them and have fun while learning. If you kill them no loss and easily replaceable and you learn what to do and what won't work. You can even find plants with nice trunks reasonably that within 2 years can make decent looking Bonsai. Have fun and keep with it.

ed

Last edited:

docb91b

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you Ed. I like that, "Stick in a Pot" :)

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you are anywhere near Northridge you could come to a class at my nursery on the 1st or 3rd Sunday morning of each month. You could bring your tree and if you wanted start a different one and I could show you what to do. They start at 10 am and cost $20. There isn't much to do on this one now and it's always a good idea for a beginner to have several trees as there has to be a rest period between the various stages of work we do. This one really needs to just grow for awhile before cutting anything. I'd suggest starting out with a 5 gallon sized plant and creating your own. We have all the tools, wire etc that you get to use in class and several thousand trees.

docb91b

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bob. This Sunday is the first Sunday; do I need to make a reservation or just show up?

D

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are anywhere near Northridge you could come to a class at my nursery on the 1st or 3rd Sunday morning of each month. You could bring your tree and if you wanted start a different one and I could show you what to do. They start at 10 am and cost $20. There isn't much to do on this one now and it's always a good idea for a beginner to have several trees as there has to be a rest period between the various stages of work we do. This one really needs to just grow for awhile before cutting anything. I'd suggest starting out with a 5 gallon sized plant and creating your own. We have all the tools, wire etc that you get to use in class and several thousand trees.

Bob, this is the most alluring Bonsai class I have ever heard of. Not only is the price affordable to anyone interested in the hobby you end with " Just show up ". This is the type of class that would appeal to me, you seem like a down to earth kind of guy. If I were within 100 miles of you I would go every other week for $20 just to work on something. I wish you the best with what seems likely to be a very successful business model, and one that will sow the seeds of passion for Bonsai for many souls.

ed

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks Ed-if by chance you are ever in So. Cal on a 1st or 3rd Sunday just show up! Otherwise call first.
We try to do all we can especially to encourage newcomers and get them on the right path. So far it's been working for 18 years!

Top Bottom