New to here intro

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Hi, Joe from FLA here, been doing bonsai for 2 years, mostly trees native to the area, Pond Cypress, Youpon, Maple, and stuff that does well in the heat here, Junipers, Vitex, etc.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Joe, welcome to the forum. You should put your location into your profile, so people know where you are (and advice that fits your climate) without having to ask.
Nice ilex start.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great, do you know how to wire yet? Just sayin, cause that ilex will be wanting to be fully wired to turn it into your live oak. Yes the framework is there, but big old oak trees have many twists and turns in the branches. Take a look at images of old oaks, and try to replicate the branches with all the movement you can put in them while they are still young and flexible.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I see live oaks every day here, so I am familiar with them, really not a big fan of wiring, so for now I am trying to keep it trimmed to shape. I have a few others I am doing with pads of leaves like some of the oaks around here.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay.
Nice trees you have there!

I LOVE this place!!!

BigBen

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Welcome! I'll shout at you more when I have some time. I do heat tolerant plants as well only I'm in Vegas. Vitex is one of my favorites!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see live oaks every day here, so I am familiar with them, really not a big fan of wiring, so for now I am trying to keep it trimmed to shape. I have a few others I am doing with pads of leaves like some of the oaks around here.
But all those branches are stick straight. Are you a fan of super straight branches? Wiring is a great tool for your toolbox...
Not trying to be mean, but really take a look at how straight that is, and see if it's really what you want in the long run.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
But all those branches are stick straight. Are you a fan of super straight branches? Wiring is a great tool for your toolbox...
Not trying to be mean, but really take a look at how straight that is, and see if it's really what you want in the long run.
I am familiar with wiring, but don't like to do it, the Ilex is fairly new to the pot and the cut back and I want to give it some time. I'd be more than happy to mail it to you if you don't approve of it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

I give you bonus points for the beautiful moss on your Ilex... just make sure you don't choke the soil. The Ilex looks healthy... but a little sparse.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hard to avoid wiring a tree you haven't grown from seed. And even still, it's a challenge. You are ahead of where I was at 2 years but don't be afraid to try new stuff. Even if you wire 1 put of 10 trees you'll be glad to have the knowledge.
Enjoy this site, it's a gold mine of resources and a good place to nerd out

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Welcome to the site!

I give you bonus points for the beautiful moss on your Ilex... just make sure you don't choke the soil. The Ilex looks healthy... but a little sparse.
its sparse in that pic because I just took the top way down to get it wider and a bit flatter, it was like a typical Ilex before the hair cut sort of ball shaped. The moss just started taking off and I am planning to remove about half of it soon.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am familiar with wiring, but don't like to do it, the Ilex is fairly new to the pot and the cut back and I want to give it some time. I'd be more than happy to mail it to you if you don't approve of it.
I agree, if you've just repotted it that you can't do any wiring until it settles in.
Doesn't matter whether I approve or disapprove of your tree, it is your tree. I'm only offering my (helpful- I thought...) opinion. I'll try to keep those to myself from here on out...o_O

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I agree, if you've just repotted it that you can't do any wiring until it settles in.
Doesn't matter whether I approve or disapprove of your tree, it is your tree. I'm only offering my (helpful- I thought...) opinion. I'll try to keep those to myself from here on out...o_O
Its been in that pot for a couple months and the pic is old, its flushed out a lot since. I think I might take it down shorter to get a cow pasture looking wide top oak tree. he only thin I might do at this point is pull down the limb on the viewers left n the pic closer to the "ground". maybe a few plastic cows. :)

Top Bottom