New to Hinoki Cypress

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is a Hinoki Cypress from nursery stock from a good pre bonsai source,it was grown from cutting many years ago . I used copper wire and guy wire where I could. The apex was the most difficult part of designing this tree. It will rest for a year until I work on roots to get it into a pot. I’m going to fertilize to build the smaller fine foliage. I did not touch fine foliage really and took the wire out to essentially hold the pads. Hopefully no branches die off, I tried to be as careful as I could , stopping when I heard any crack. This was only 35 dollars , but I treated it with great care , and think it has good potential, let me know what you think.
This is practice, and depending how this turns out along with another Hinoki I’ll be styling I’m looking into getting a Hinoki from a grower on Long Island that knows my teacher and some other prominent Bonsai professionals. Before and After attached pics.

Attachments

• 44F51129-2E78-4E2C-B8EE-22D34CDF4CFC.jpeg
    44F51129-2E78-4E2C-B8EE-22D34CDF4CFC.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 154
  • FC1F9259-D4FF-4798-9001-398F5E0E1518.jpeg
    FC1F9259-D4FF-4798-9001-398F5E0E1518.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One thing that is a little different with Hinoki cypress is that they have a tendency to drop interior foliage... and never grow it back. If you aren't careful, you end up with a pom-pom tree in short order. Make sure you keep an open branch structure and allow light into the interior of the tree.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
One thing that is a little different with Hinoki cypress is that they have a tendency to drop interior foliage... and never grow it back. If you aren't careful, you end up with a pom-pom tree in short order. Make sure you keep an open branch structure and allow light into the interior of the tree.
Are you referring to the top of the tree? It’s actually pretty open , the way it’s viewed shows a closed in appearance.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are you referring to the top of the tree? It’s actually pretty open , the way it’s viewed shows a closed in appearance.
Hi,
I think @Bonsai Nut is referring to your bottom 5 or 6 branches where they are already have the Pom Pom look, so will make it very difficult to achieve a bonsai from this. If you can bend the heck out of the bottom branches to drag the branches to appear closer to the trunk then maybe.
Top looks good, no problem there.
Charles

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wasn't specifically referring to the state of your current design - rather the fact that you are new to hinoki cypress. You want to be more aggressive when you thin out the ends of the branches, and more gentle/forgiving when you work the interiors than you might be with, for example, a juniper.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wasn't specifically referring to the state of your current design - rather the fact that you are new to hinoki cypress. You want to be more aggressive when you thin out the ends of the branches, and more gentle/forgiving when you work the interiors than you might be with, for example, a juniper.
You mean branches circled below?

Attachments

• 2091228A-196E-4311-A095-B3A34BB7A0EB.jpeg
    2091228A-196E-4311-A095-B3A34BB7A0EB.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 72

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi,
I think @Bonsai Nut is referring to your bottom 5 or 6 branches where they are already have the Pom Pom look, so will make it very difficult to achieve a bonsai from this. If you can bend the heck out of the bottom branches to drag the branches to appear closer to the trunk then maybe.
Top looks good, no problem there.
Charles
So you’re saying it’s never be a bonsai and looks like shit. Got it , Thank you for providing me fuel to prove nay sayers wrong.

Thanks!

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With your Hinoki it is necessary to periodically thin out the foliage pads by removing downward and thinning upward twigs and any twigs that overlap from one branch to another need to be sorted out to allow air and light passage through the outer pad into the interior of the tree. Hinoki are quite brittle and the foliage has a tendency to pop off in your hand when wiring, so be very careful with hard bends and the twigs.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are lovely trees and the important thing to always remember is that what you see is what you get. It will never make another branch to fill in a design. When back branches die they don't get replacement. So work with what you have and make something pretty. I have several and they're a joy to work with.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They are lovely trees and the important thing to always remember is that what you see is what you get. It will never make another branch to fill in a design. When back branches die they don't get replacement. So work with what you have and make something pretty. I have several and they're a joy to work with.
Do they respond well to bending? Heavy bending w guy wire?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do they respond well to bending? Heavy bending w guy wire?
If you have the patience to go little bends over a period of time, yes. If you try to do sharp bends all at once, not likely. They are quite brittle and go so far and then, snap!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you have the patience to go little bends over a period of time, yes. If you try to do sharp bends all at once, not likely. They are quite brittle and go so far and then, snap!
Yeah I didn’t hear any snap except one a small twig. I used guy wire to bring the branches in alittle more. In that small cracked twig I used this Japanese green seaweed cut sealer to help.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The small are more pliable and easy to set. It's the older wood that gets snappy. Like the limbs you want to foreshorten to bring the foliage in closer to the trunk. Sorry, but I can't load pics on this forum or I'd show some Hinoki that have never been wired.

Top Bottom