New To Junipers

neewbsai29

Seed
Reaction score
Hey folks, I recently received two new juniper bonsai as gifts. These are my first sets of bonsai and I’ve noticed after a couple days some of the leaves are a bit yellow or brown. Majority of the plants are definitely green and healthy but I want to see wether these are normal growth signs or if they are more signs that the plant is dying. I’ve tried watering it when the soil seems dry and the potting seems to be draining fine. I leave them out on my back porch which gets a lot of sunlight in the evening. If I need to post some better pictures I can. I also live in Maryland and the weather has been back and forth between rainy and 80+ degrees and sunny. Any info would help so that my anxiety doesn’t go through the roof lol.

Attachments

• 14F8DCD9-6193-474D-9443-84C0EB558FD0.jpeg
    14F8DCD9-6193-474D-9443-84C0EB558FD0.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 34
  • AB8711FD-73A6-4C0A-BEFD-16A470CD99D1.jpeg
    AB8711FD-73A6-4C0A-BEFD-16A470CD99D1.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 32CD423F-A97A-4530-A2CA-B6BA3098D5CA.jpeg
    32CD423F-A97A-4530-A2CA-B6BA3098D5CA.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 36

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One guess is it could be Chlorosis. Are you using tap water? If so, the PH could be too high.

neewbsai29

Seed
Reaction score
One guess is it could be Chlorosis. Are you using tap water? If so, the PH could be too high.
Hmm actually yes I have been. I have only had the plants for about 4 days but I can't remember if the leaves were slightly yellow or brown before. I also received them via mail so I don't really know. any suggestions on what to use to water them?

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm actually yes I have been. I have only had the plants for about 4 days but I can't remember if the leaves were slightly yellow or brown before. I also received them via mail so I don't really know. any suggestions on what to use to water them?

Simply lowering PH should help (if) in the case of Chlorosis. Many people use white vinegar but I would use PH Down

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Doesn’t look like anything to worry about to me. Unless you start seeing large clumps of browning then I think you’re ok. I have hard water and I have many happy healthy junipers, so I wouldn’t stress about that much.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They look fine and healthy to me. It sounds like you're taking care of them properly. Some of the lower/inner foliage will occasionally turn brown as it is being shaded out by other foliage, etc. Needles, like leaves, do not last forever and must be occasionally replaced. That means it's natural for *some* of the foliage to look unhealthy occasionally.

Unless your tap water is gasoline or battery acid, you're not going to see problems from it in just 4 days time. Ignore the comments about chlorosis, that ain't it.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@neewbsai29 - I think your trees look fine. I do not think your water pH is causing a problem here.

@BonsaiDTLA - seriously, I understand your concern for pH of water, in the SW desert regions water quality is a big issue. The OP is in Maryland, where municipal water is "not bad at all". The OP is in a region where water issues are rare.

pH is also a bit of a red herring. Where people talk about needing to lower pH, it is usually because the total alkalinity of the water is excessive. The two terms, pH and Total Alkalinity are independent from each other, and modifying one, won't "cure" the other. But rather than get into a deep dive on water issues, I just want you to be aware most BNut members from east of the Mississippi River have water you'd kill for, in terms of being horticulture friendly water. Sorry to bust your chops, but generally worrying about pH for junipers, when you are east of the Mississippi is chasing a red herring.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If one is raising carnivorous plants, or extreme calcifuge ericaceous plants, then even east of the Mississippi River you definitely need to worry about water quality. But by and large, for junipers and other tolerant species, water quality is only an issue if you have extremely bad water, which is not common east of the Mississippi.

Azalea are calcifuges, dislike high calcium water, and some areas do have water that is less than ideal for azalea, but they are "relatively easy" to make the adjustments needed to keep them happy.

Top Bottom