New to Maples: Development Question????

chefmateo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been a mainly a tropicals guy for the duration of my bonsai practice. This spring I acquired three Trident Maple seedlings from a forum member. Per his suggestion I potted them into pond baskets, fertilized them during the summer, & gave them plenty of water. While the trunks & roots are coming along nicely, I'm curious as to why no branches(with the exception of one) have started to form? I have tons of potentials, but they are less than an inch or two and are still very much like petioles. I would have thought that at least a few of the lower ones would have begun to harden off by now. Is this just one of the development stages of maples? Of note: During the middle of summer I even cut back the tops to shorten then overall height & also my thinking was to trigger some lower development. Anyway, I appreciate whatever insight someone has to offer. Thanks.

Attachments

• Maple1.jpg
    Maple1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Maple2.jpg
    Maple2.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 72

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In PA maples grow everywhere. And yes, young maples appear to be just a branch sticking out of the ground getting as tall as it can. In subsequent years you'll get more limbs. Pruning does help develop more budding which will eventually turn into branching.

chefmateo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then I'll keep cutting back the height of it & just watch & wait. Thanks.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Then I'll keep cutting back the height of it & just watch & wait. Thanks.
I would let it grow out a little more before worrying. See how much branching you get next year maybe without pruning. You could let the thing get 5-6' tall without worrying. Many do that just to fatten the trunks up before worrying about branching and shaping. Branching will come. No worries.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
what they say is true. just takes some time

Top Bottom