New to Maples, looking for a little info

tatorger

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have several one year old japanese maples and amur maples in pots. I plan on putting them in the ground next spring. They are far from any kind of training but im trying to compile as much information as possible on their growth habits, proper pruning, ect. Any information you can give me. Good books to look into, websites and such would greatly appriciated.
Thank you in advance!
Travis

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Bonsai4me.com is where I get the majority of my info!

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are some smokin threads on here about maples, be sure to search and read them. I like the book Bonsai with Japanese maples by Peter Adams. I purchased it from Stone Lantern. Another great resource is http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/japmaple.htm

It's fall I hope people post some fall maples... My favorite trees for color.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would suggest that it is never too early to consider nebari. When you line out your maples, try to arrange the roots radially so you don't have to correct poor nebari later on.
I speak from experience on this matter.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree the book mentioned raydomz is probably one of the best definitive guides for working with maples. Your local library should have a number of great bonsai books that you can check out and read for free.

Top Bottom