New to maples

Dan L

Seed
Reaction score
New to the forums and New to maples, I have kept indoor bonsai for several years with some success. Recently I have decided I want to branch out and do some outdoor bonsai, I really like the look of maples. So I was hoping to give them a try. I live in zone 6a and have a patio that gets morning sun with afternoon and evening shade. My question is what do I need to do to winter them. I have a small backyard that could have a small greenhouse, but no unheated garage. Any tips would be appreciated.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd heal them in against a foundation or fence. I have never lost a maple to the cold but I have had complications with maples that were kept too warm through the winter and began growing far to early. The "tree" part of JM and tridents are hardy down to zone 5, it's just the roots that shouldn't get below 14 degrees F. To be completely honest, I don't protect mine and I live in zone 6b, IF they are in a one gallon or larger pot. But I keep them out of the wind and sun near a fence. You could always mulch the pots into a box too, it would need to have great drainage obviously.

Dan L

Seed
Reaction score
I'd heal them in against a foundation or fence. I have never lost a maple to the cold but I have had complications with maples that were kept too warm through the winter and began growing far to early. The "tree" part of JM and tridents are hardy down to zone 5, it's just the roots that shouldn't get below 14 degrees F. To be completely honest, I don't protect mine and I live in zone 6b, IF they are in a one gallon or larger pot. But I keep them out of the wind and sun near a fence. You could always mulch the pots into a box too, it would need to have great drainage obviously.
Sorry to sound new but I am could you explain "mulch the pots into a box" to me, I would guess it is exactly what it sounds like, but want to be sure.
Thanks

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you take a large container (wood/styrofoam/old recycling bin/whatever) and place the pots inside of that, then sprinkle mulch around the side of the pot and across the surface of the pots, up to the first branch, you'll have them pretty well insulated. But the large box you put them in needs to have some drainage holes so you can water your tree without filling the container with water/ice. This method would be inconceivable for a large collection but to keep a tree or two happy it works nicely. It's how we over winter the shohin trees at the nursery

Top Bottom