(New to me) Chinese Quince?

CarpenterDiaz7

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi y’all! I got a Chinese Quince gifted to me today, I’m in zone 6a, tonight’s temps 34° what would be best place to keep it for the next couple days or just the night? What do y’all recommend? I thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• 0B4F5378-2DB4-46C0-B939-0A12ED8D7A0B.jpeg
    0B4F5378-2DB4-46C0-B939-0A12ED8D7A0B.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 74
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's a Japanese quince chaenomeles japonica, Chinese quince is pseudocydonia sinensis.

Both very cold hardy, should be fine outside at 34 degrees, if worried about frost put it under an eave or just up against the house

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You could put it in an unheated garage overnight if you are worried about it. I’ve been moving my stuff in and out daily right now. Wish I had some carts on wheels 😁

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldnt worry about temps at this point unless you see a night time temp under 32deg. If temps drop below, you can bring it inside for the night and put it back out in the morning.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's a Japanese quince chaenomeles japonica, Chinese quince is pseudocydonia sinensis.

Both very cold hardy, should be fine outside at 34 degrees, if worried about frost put it under an eave or just up against the house
Are you sure Mike! I do not see any sign of thorns, the leaf structure, size and shape match my Chinese quince, along with the bark characteristics. All my Japanese quince including the chojubai have thorns and a different leaf structure. Just wondering what you based your identification on.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't have any Chinese quince, but thought they had small pink flowers, and thick leathery leaves that are ovate and have serrated margins, OP plant appears to have lanceolate leaves and bright red flowers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Does Toyo Nishiki have thorns? Or cydona oblonga?

I would have thought this a “Japanese quince” as well but am not certain of the exact name

They’re supposed to be pretty strong / hardy, I think?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A number of Japanese quince forms are thornless though many of the older types can have the vicious spines of the original species.
Leaves and flowers on this one definitely Chaenomeles - Japanese quince.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Chaenomeles x superba Japanese quince, thornless as well.
Cydonia oblonga doesn’t have thorns and looks nothing like Japanese quince

Attachments

• FB72B381-1F60-4018-B7C1-3EE6E57D4EDB.jpeg
    FB72B381-1F60-4018-B7C1-3EE6E57D4EDB.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 29

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi y’all! I got a Chinese Quince gifted to me today, I’m in zone 6a, tonight’s temps 34° what would be best place to keep it for the next couple days or just the night? What do y’all recommend? I thank you all in advance!

Possibly from Lake St. Garden center? They usually got some usable material if you look hard enough.....that's a Japanese Quince as mentioned. Which is good, lot more hardy up here than Chinese Quince.

They don't have anything in bonsai pots though, someone went "the extra mile" for you. If something happens, you can get another pretty easy.

CarpenterDiaz7

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Possibly from Lake St. Garden center? They usually got some usable material if you look hard enough.....that's a Japanese Quince as mentioned. Which is good, lot more hardy up here than Chinese Quince.

They don't have anything in bonsai pots though, someone went "the extra mile" for you. If something happens, you can get another pretty easy.
No lol, funny tho am always there… they got it from NEBG down in Bellingham. Sweet collection you’ve got there. Any clubs up our way?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does Toyo Nishiki have thorns? Or cydona oblonga?

I would have thought this a “Japanese quince” as well but am not certain of the exact name

They’re supposed to be pretty strong / hardy, I think?
No the Toyo Nishiki does not have thorns! here is mine at an earlier stage in flower! But the dwarf chojubai " Japanese quince" has very sharp thorns and small red flowers.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0730.JPG
    IMG_0730.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 19