New to Outdoor Bonsai

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Rachel, and while I've been keeping indoor bonsai for a while, this is my first attempt with an outdoor bonsai. It is a Juniper (not sure on the species, dug it out of my backyard), And while I know basic care, I need help with how to protect it, especially in the winter. I live in zone five in southwest Ohio, and we have a fairly sheltered porch where it is for now. Any help will be appreciated!

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Welcome to the Nut House!

Stacy's right: if it came out of your yard, it should have no trouble at all in winter. Just put it in a sheltered spot out of the wind, preferably where it can freeze and stay frozen until spring. Give some thought to protecting it from critters, too: I lost a Japanese maple to either a tree rat or one of its cutesy-larcenous-little-striped-cousins ("Al-VIN!") this past winter.

You're in SW Ohio; how far from Cincinnati? There is a large and active bonsai club there. Members will be familiar with what works well in your area for winter protection.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Funny Steve, I put fencing up around my in ground trees last fall to protect against rodents. But we've had this group of 5-7 rabbits (which is strange as I live in a dense housing area) that nibble at anything in my and my neighbors yard. This last week in particular they are really active...breeding season?? But I'm sure that the fencing has saved my Tridents, JMs, and K. Hornbeams from getting munched on. The fencing has been more useful now than in the winter LOL

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do a search on over wintering there has been a lot discussed already, and should give you some questions closer to your situation. Start there.

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I'll definitely try the "bury the pot" thing.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From now until about Thanksgiving (perhaps a bit earlier) you dont need to keep it on the porch. It can be open to the elements. It should get roughly the same as when it was growing in the ground. If you have it in bonsai "soil", it will need more attention such as water frequently, and fertilizer, and sun light.

Top Bottom