New to SoCal

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first "winter" here in So. Cal. I'm used to the harsh Midwest winters with spring happening in late April, early May.

I'm trying to gauge when to repot my tree's and carry out the typical spring work. In particular, I have a trident maple that needs repotting as well as a shimpaku that needs heavy pruning and wiring (was repotted last year).

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Look for Smoke to give you an answer, barring that there are clubs on just about every corner (not quite) in Ca. get some local advise if possible.
From memory Al(Smoke) talks often about repotting/early spring chores in Feb., watch the buds they will tell you as well.

I'm thinking too that our head nut Bnut is from there as well.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I am repotting starting this weekend. The first tree will be a real speciman. Stay tuned to see it here first! New pot and everything.

Pot dimensions 20" x 14" x 4.5"

Attachments

• DSC_00020001.JPG
    DSC_00020001.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 23

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Diciduous trees first as they will start to pop around the middle of Feb. down there and up here in the central valley. The juniper can go on into first weeks of march if needed. I have seen junipers repotted around here as late as April with no problems.

Sapling
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks! I have a couple Elms that are starting to wake up from their very brief nap. I'm thinking that this weekend is going to be the weekend of repotting. I just acquired a new tree from the Winter Silhouettes show last weekend . . . a great little cork bark elm.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Always listen to your trees. As Al pointed out - watch for the buds to start to swell as your sign that potting time is upon us. My elms are just now starting to bud. Their brief 6 week rest is over :)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, you guys have quite a short dormant period. My trees have been overwintered since Thanksgiving weekend, and I probably won't start repotting for another 5-6 weeks, with the bulk of my trees probably closer to 8 weeks.

Top Bottom