New to the forum! Couple of questions..

Ohioisonfire

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been growing some willow cuttings for the past couple months and those are goin alright but I needed something further along so I bought a small schefflera which is doing great so far!

I think I started killing the willows by way over watering them. They are in very cheap potting soil that does not seem to drain well at all. But I've been letting them dry out a few days between watering and I imagine the smart move would be to re pot them in the spring if they survive the winter. If all of that fails I am not going to be heartbroken, I'll just go into the backyard and get more cuttings.

Now to the real questions! Today I went to lowes and I bought two junipers and two holly plants. I am impatient and want more trees to work on when the time is right and the trees were about 1.75 each so I am happy to experiment with them. My main question is, what should I do with them now? With winter around the corner should I just leave them be until spring? Or should I do some pruning and then leave them be until spring? Or am I just stupid for buying anything at all this time of year?

I will post up pictures later on in the day. Thanks. any info or pictures you might want can be given :)

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First welcome. I haven't heard of Big Rapids in years. Originally from Spring Lake. Good to have you on board.

A couple of things to pass on. First thing is to learn to keep your trees alive, for years. And the second is to develop patience. The horticulture art of bonsai is a multi year activity not a matter of minutes. Learn to search this web site for specific information before asking questions. Learn which posters you should pay attention to. Learn which other web sites are reputable. Travel to bonsai shows to see bonsai trees. Read, read, read. And join a local bonsai club as this is the best place to learn.

As for your trees. Learn which must be kept outside and which tropicals you can bring into the house during the winter. And most importantly learn how to water. Get a chop stick, or use your finger, and stick it down into the soil to check if watering is needed. Next spring you will be able to clean your trees up and repot them into more appropriate rapid draining bonsai soil.

That should get us started. Again welcome to the NUT. And cheer up you are not in the path of Matthew and 7 months or so it will be spring.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My main question is, what should I do with them now?

@DougB gave solid advice.

Both of them should be Wintered outdoors.

I like the fact you bought at least two of each as I advocate that for learning, even 3 - 5.
I can tell you a bit more about the Junipers at this point. I have had that type as well as many others and honest they are not used a lot in Bonsai but are damn good plants to learn on. That variety as well as a few others are mounding Junipers so they tend to grow wide, thick, and low. You can however train them into a nice cascade over time and the practice doing so will greatly help you understand Junipers and many facets of Bonsai.
That cultivar like a LOT of sun and never let it dry out. Late season to work them but there should be a bit of weak inner foliage, some light green and limp, others brown. You can and should clip all that out at this time.
The one I have pictured below came from Lowes this past Spring and I placed in a hanging basket to start training and pruning(and also because it looks funny/different). I started the trimming and growing process while keeping that interior cleaned out. It will be a few seasons of that and wiring before it will be transferred to any pot. Another Juniper available there that will be an easier subject would be the 'Sargentii' for reasons you will understand along the way.
Welcome!

IMG_0718.JPG

As I said a few seasons to go ;)

Grimmy

vicn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
These last three you bought all need to go outside. I would just plant the holly out in a back corner of your yard and forget about it. The junipers (sorry I'm not familiar with that variety), can be left in pots or "slip potted", but they will need to be kept up against a wall or wood fence where the wind won't hit them all winter long. You may want to water them rarely just so the soil doesn't get too dry if you don't have much snow. If the plants are covered with snow all winter, don't worry about them.

Ohioisonfire

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks for the responses!
I should clarify that the plants were only inside to take pictures, it's dark and stormy out today. The plan for wintering Them outside is to put them right next to my windows sort of behind some taller bushes. I can send a picture of that later. Those junipers and the holly will be put there. The willows I think will probably go in my garage (sort of a garage..), unless you think they'd be better outside in the snow as well. I have heard we are supposed to get lots of that this winter by the way so hopefully I won't have to water much.

My main goal for these actually relates a lot to what you were all saying. My interest is to learn how to keep them alive and to start learning basic techniques. I am not necessarily concerned with them turning out like your standard bonsai. Just want to get a feel for it all. So if they end up looking mediocre or dying I'll be happy as long as I've learned something.

I think I'll keep the schefflera indoors under a light during the winter.

Ohioisonfire

Sapling
Reaction score
Taking the advice of different people and the fact that I bought two of each into consideration I messed with one of each and left one of each alone. One of the junipers got all of the unhealthy branches cut off and the other one wasn't messed with. One of the hollys got "trimmed" and the other one was left alone. I'll try to get a picture of their setup outside (for now).

All of the research I have done now as well as my lack of research beforehand points towards the willows sitting in soaked soil for two long (2 months practically). However I'm here to learn so any advice is welcomed.

The schefflera seems to be pushing out three new leaves since I brought it home! Not sure of the exact plan for that yet.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All of the research I have done now as well as my lack of research beforehand points towards the willows sitting in soaked soil for two long (2 months practically). However I'm here to learn so any advice is welcomed.
I love willows and take lots of cuttings every year. They are almost like bald cypress in the way that they can basically sit in pure water alone for months. I keep my willows WET!

Welcome to the nuthouse!

Aaron

Ohioisonfire

Sapling
Reaction score
Well then I was extremely wrong and I need to figure out what is wrong with them! They all grew quite quickly and then two of them just got yellow and sickly looking at the same time. The third is still fairly healthy. I definitely want to take some more cuttings spring time, I have a feeling that even if I can keep my willows alive now they'll die in the winter.

I love them too and was hoping that since they grow so quickly I could practice on them

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well then I was extremely wrong and I need to figure out what is wrong with them! They all grew quite quickly and then two of them just got yellow and sickly looking at the same time. The third is still fairly healthy. I definitely want to take some more cuttings spring time, I have a feeling that even if I can keep my willows alive now they'll die in the winter.

I love them too and was hoping that since they grow so quickly I could practice on them
I've had some willows do that and they normally just need a good heavy feeding. I've noticed with m trees that prefer to say wet, also are they ones that like a lot of fertilizer.
As long as the cuttings are more then a couple weeks old they should live through winter no problem, willows are insanely hardy plants.

Aaron

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love shore junipers! I have a few by my koi pond - let me see if I can get a good picture later today.

For whatever reason, I think your shore juniper is mislabeled? Sounds like someone hit up the Spanish book, LOL. Blue Pacific Shore Juniper's official Latin/cultivar name is: Juniperus conferta 'Blue Pacific'

Top Bottom