new to the forum, just saying hello.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
just wanted to say hi to everyone on the forum. my name is jeff, so i did some word play with a pine i like from the west coast for my forum name. i live in a suburb of chicago. looking forward to all the advice i can get from you all.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Jefrey!
Welcome.
Which Chicagoland sub-urb, I'm in Niles?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome.

Berwyn!

Sorce

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome.

Berwyn!

Sorce

Actually I'm thinking since awhile to ask if some chicagolandians B-nuts would be interested in buying some bare roots seedling...
I found some fancy ones at Heritage Seedling but the minimum order is $500 which is way to much for me (in term of money but also in term of the amount of trees I'd receive for that price.... ;) )

I didn't post that for the moment because I'm dead broke, whatever the price, and also because of the freaking 17 F :(

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Welcome, Jeff.

Some of us old geezers can't be expected to remember that you live in or near Chicago (Brrrrr!), so please fill out your profile so you remind us when you ask a question here.

Thanks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome to the forum, I'm in Zion, which is 40+ miles north of Chicago, along the lake shore. I call Milwaukee my home society (travel time is the same to either Chicago or Milwaukee from my place). A very valuable resource is the Midwest Bonsai Society, they meet at the Chicago Botanic Garden, but they also have satellite groups that meet in the city proper and in the southwest. Look through their website http://www.midwestbonsai.org/ for meeting times and who the speaker will be. Definitely hit their shows, the August show is one of the 10 best exhibits in the USA.

You might also want to check out the Prairie State Bonsai society, they meet at the Morton Arboretum. http://www.prairiestatebonsai.com/

For me bonsai was hard to "get" until I got some live in person instruction, the internet and books were just not enough to learn the basics from. A bonsai society is very valuable for the opportunity to learn techniques. I strongly encourage you to at least attend a few meetings a year and see a show or two a year.

Welcome to the forum - this is a lively and informative group.

Top Bottom