New to the game with a Harlandii

kip

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
bonsai.jpg

Hi all,

Got my first bonsai tree from bonsaioutlet(dot)com...Went with the Harland because I love the bark and the look. I'm from Northeast Indiana, was gonna give you some background and ask a few questions. I know i've already made several new guy mistakes because I found this site a week ago and have already learned so much about what i'm doing wrong...

I got the tree January 10th, and the top left image is what it looked like out of the package. I promptly did a bit of pruning (first mistake) that you can see in top right image. I stuck it in my office in an east facing window (next mistake) where it's been sitting for the last month. The lower left picture is about 4 days after I got it, we had some moss growing in our gravel parking lot next to our building at work and i scraped some and put it on top of the soil. The lower right pic is taken a few days ago, you can see a bit of new growth but also some yellowing of leaves/signs of stress. I'm afraid to take it outside though because it's still really stinkin' cold. I've tried to let it get almost dry before i water it, and i've kept the humidity tray wet...seemed to me (with my limited knowledge and experience) that it needed watered every other day without the moss, with the moss ever 3 days or so. My office has an indirect fan for some slight air movement and is constant 70 degrees. I know it needs to go outside and stay out. Also, i'm not a fan of the soil it came in, it seems too dense so i bought some "quick drain soil with akadama" from bonsaitrees.com, also bought a shallower pot, as i don't like this pot much.

My questions are, how do i winter this thing in indiana? I've read so many conflicting things about temp, sunlight during winter, temp for harland's, etc i don't know what to do. My goal here is to prove to myself that i can keep it alive and thriving through the year, and properly winterized...once i'm confident in that, then i'll try and plan the look of the thing. But that brings me to my next question, what are the possibilities for the look of this tree? I'd like informal upright if possible, but it may require quite a bit of hacking down at some point...seems to have that one thicker branch and all the rest are really thin and tender still. The trunk seems really short, but i wont know until i repot if any of it is hidden under the soil...my plan is to repot in early spring, get it outside, and let it grow. Next year i'm thinking i'll start doing more "bonsai" things with it. Also i'm going to start looking for a club around here. Thanks guys for any help or advice you can give!

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to the forum, u might want to add your location to your profile so the experts can give u advise (they'll need to know ur climate location). I don't know much about boxwoods, it most likely isn't * a boxwood anyway :)

*Edit: i mean that i think my guess was wrong.

Last edited:

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to the forum, u might want to add your location to your profile so the experts can give u advise (they'll need to know ur climate location). I don't know much about boxwoods, it most likely isn't a boxwood anyway :)

....northeast Indiana....Harland boxwood is a boxwood....

Don't let it freeze or get frost damage. Outside, as much sun as possible, water it before it dies totally, feed it while it grows.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
....northeast Indiana....Harland boxwood is a boxwood....
Oh i guessed, so i did great :)

I didnt mean to say that the original poster was wrong.

Last edited:

kip

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool thanks for the replies so far...so does it need a period of dormacy during the winter? Or should i just bring it inside by a window? This is where I'm getting the most conflicting info by the various "harlandii boxwood care guides".

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
...This is where I'm getting the most conflicting info by the various "harlandii boxwood care guides".

Here is the parallel thread:
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-happy-little-buxus-microphylla-harlandii.22097/page-2

I keep my Harland boxwood in the light cold room in the winter. No frost. When the temperature rises and it starts growing in the spring, it goes to its seasonal place...I keep it indoor on the well lit window sill, 'cause I have no room outside for it (crammed balcony).

kip

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice...solid help, thanks guys. I'll post follow ups as I go.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
just noticed i said "dies"; that was a typo, meant to write "dries"

kip

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
just noticed i said "dies"; that was a typo, meant to write "dries"

Right, I figured that's what you meant. Crazy how that one letter can change the meaning so drastically, especially here. :)

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hey folks,
I just got my first Harlandii Boxwood. I live in seattle Wa. and we are just starting to go into winter. Will this plant stand freezing temps. All my other Bonsai seem to like being covered in SNOW, last year we had 14 inches of that white fluffy stuf and all the trees came out fine. I have a shade house open to the elements except rain. Will the boxwood be alright out there as it does freeze all my plants in pots.
THANKS for any help,
robert

Top Bottom