amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
New to this forum and new to bonsai.

just a quick note to say hello.

i am a bonsai lover in iowa. i used to have a few bonsai but i killed them. lol
i now have two ficus bonsai and hope to keep them alive.

i think i will learn alot from this forum and im happy to see others that enjoy this hobby also.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Welcome to the addiction. You will find a lot of very knowledgeable people here and people are pretty good about giving advice. I'd advise you to go through the old posts as well to see progressions and critiques. My last suggestion is to get some books and read as much as you can. We'd love to see pictures of your trees!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Welcome! From a former Iowan. Iowa has good clubs in Cedar Rapids and Des Moines, and an upcoming show (this weekend?) at Reiman Gardens in Ames.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes i wish i was attending the show. i will be working. i will add pics soon. im glad i didnt purchase an s curve import. lol. i read a heated post on here about those. i have 2 starter ficus bonsai. i love the hibiscus bonsai from another thread and i know my sister would love those too.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depending on what part of the state you're in there is also a fledgling Nebraska club that rotates its meetings between Lincoln and Omaha. Seems to be some pretty great people in it, I think the next plan in the works is to try and entice Suthin out some time this spring. I've only been to one event because of my screwy schedule but I'm trying to work it out so I'm able to get there on a monthly basis.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This weekend there will be some bonsai displays at the Omaha Botanical Center/ Lauritzen Garden. Thery are having their Japanese Ambience program this weekend. I know the Nebraska culb will be showing their trees.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome. The people here can give you great advice. Sometimes the reviews are a bit tough but they mean well.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
here are a couple pics of what i have.

i know training bonsai happens over several years.

where is a good place to start with these trees?

they are both ficus.

Attachments

• DSC05919.jpg
    DSC05919.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC06000.jpg
    DSC06000.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05922.jpg
    DSC05922.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 46

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice starts, i don't think they are ready for that pot you showed but good starting material.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is there anything i should do to it right now. the one in the regular pot is very root bound. should i just let it grow like that until spring? i wanted to trim away some of the lower branches because when i look at it i can see a broom form. but the trunk has a curve to it so i didnt cut them. any advice?

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
... the one in the regular pot is very root bound. should i just let it grow like that until spring?

That depends on where you are and, if you're in the northern hemisphere, what sort of conditions you can give the tree thru the winter. If it is going to have good growing conditions -- temperature, humidity, light, and so -- for the next several months, best to repot. Use a roomier pot (but only by about 10%-20%) unless the trunk is as thick as you want it.

LATER: Oops -- just saw that you're in Iowa. Sorry.

...i wanted to trim away some of the lower branches because when i look at it i can see a broom form. but the trunk has a curve to it so i didnt cut them. any advice?

Broom is actually a style variation that can be used with several of the basic styles. A broom can have a curved trunk as long as the curves are continued in the branches. Here's an example. The owner and artist is Michael Persiano.

Attachments

• Moyogi with broom.jpg
    Moyogi with broom.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reiterating what DaveV said, if you're on the west side of the state there is an entry level workshop this Saturday in Omaha.

http://nebonsai.blogspot.com has some details. If you make it there look for Max, he's been a tremendous help to me and is probably one of the nicest people I've ever met.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
omaha is about 2-2 1/2 hrs away. im in the middle of iowa.

i will not be able to attend.

i may look in to the bonsai club here locally. i have been to maybe 2 meetings about 15 years ago.
ha- ha showing my age. lol

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New to this forum and new to bonsai.

just a quick note to say hello.

i am a bonsai lover in iowa. i used to have a few bonsai but i killed them. lol
i now have two ficus bonsai and hope to keep them alive.

i think i will learn alot from this forum and im happy to see others that enjoy this hobby also.

New eh? RUN AWAY while you still have a sense of dignity and empathy for your fellow human beings!
;)

Naw, these guys are mostly a social bunch with strong opinions and they will give you good advice, in that stinging blunt way like dear old aunt Esther would. I am sure you have a dear old aunt Esther, everyone does, she may have a different name, but you know what I am talking about.:D

ed

Top Bottom