New to this

trey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi everyone. Just wanted to check in real quick.

I'm trey. I live in zone 10B.

A few months ago, I got very interested in picking up this hobby. I did some reading online, but didn't buy any books. I decided to wait for some reason. Then my wife picked me up a juniper from the local store. She didn't know any better, so I won't blame her. If anything, she got me more interested. I've had that plant for about a month. It's still alive, but I don't think it's feeling too good.

In the next few weeks, I plan on going to the local bonsai nursery. http://www.muranakabonsai.com/ It's only an hour away. I also need to pick out a book to start reading. I might look on amazon tonight and see what I can find.

Anyway, thanks for having me. Looking forward to learning from all of you!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome. I bet you leave the nursery with more than a book.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree.I can never get out of one just buying what I went there for. Where are you located and what seems to be the problem with you juni

Rick

trey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I live on Vandenberg AFB, near Lompoc and Santa Maria. California.

I'm sure I will buy more than a book. But, I can kid myself for now.

The juniper just hasn't had the same color the past few days. As soon as I got it, I removed the glued in rocks. I really wanted to repot it, but most of what I read said not to. I also haven't fertilized it yet. There is a lot of conflicting information out there on what to use. I need to hurry up and decide on something.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
With winter coming it might change color a little. As long as its not yellowing or turning brown just keep an eye on it. I dont fertilize, repot, or prune or pinch during winter months. Not sure on your location as I dont think it gets as cold as it gets here

Rick

trey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I did not consider winter being near.

We do not get cold here. Lows of 55 for the most part.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Junipers need a dorminate time to store up energy for the growing season starting in spring. Junipers might have adapted out there to your conditions

Rick

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
hi there,
Nonsense, 55 is Summer!
Just kidding (or trying to kid myself after our first snow yesterday)

In you kind of region Brent from Garden works nursery suggests to put the trees in the fridge for awhile (1000 hours of dormancy if I remember well, I didn't feel really concern by the problem in my 5b zone...)
Here is the link to his webpage, in the 'articles' section you'll find full of information before you buy your books:
http://evergreengardenworks.com/

A question though: you said you removed the glue-on gravel donuts so your juniper is a sort of 'malsai' like the one they sell at walmart? (Or is it the 'bonsai juniper' from home depot?)
If so may be you don't need to re-pot it now but at least check the pot and soil as this kind of 'bonsai' could be in rather terrible planting conditions.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
STOP STOP! Do not put your Juniper in the refrigerator! Walk around the neighborhoods in your area. Are there Junipers in the landscapes? If your Juniper is changing color dramatically then something else is wrong. Junipers are relatively easy to care for but there are some basics that must be adhered to. I know your wife was just trying to buy you something you like but Mallsai Junipers are probably the worst choice (please don't take offense). Can you post a photo of it?

Last edited:

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Juniper will grow fine kept outdoors in the middle of California. Don't put it in a fridge. I've never been to Muranaka, but I've met George at shows here in NorCal. You can get some starter material from him at low prices.

FYI - junipers can take a long time to look dead after they actually die. Some of those trees that are sold at florists and home centers are basically already dead when you buy them. So, if yours dies, try another tree from a source that is more reputable.

Good luck!

Eric

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
STOP STOP! Do not put your Juniper in the refrigerator! Walk around the neighborhoods in your area.

I didn't mean do it! I meant: read the articles about dormancy, Winter conditions and so....

As I said in my post: living in the Chicago area I have no problem with the dormancy period and not getting a real Winter.

Sorry about the confusion, I realized yesterday that it was unclear but couldn't go back to my post to correct it (connection's troubles)

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Juniper will grow fine kept outdoors in the middle of California. Don't put it in a fridge. I've never been to Muranaka, but I've met George at shows here in NorCal. You can get some starter material from him at low prices.

When you go to the nursery, TAKE THE TREE WITH YOU. The folks there will take one look and tell you what to do.

For now, the most important thing is NOT to overwater. The soil in these mallsai is usually terrible and holds too much water. But before you water check to be certain there is a drainage hole in the pot!!! Many do not have one.

trey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks for the tips everyone.

My wife bought it at the commissary on base. The soil leaves a lot to be desired. I think the glue from the rocks seeped in. I had to break up the top layer. I only water when needed, and not on a schedule.

The soil looks dry in this photo, but I can assure you, it isn't.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I dont see anything wrong with that tree. I would just let it grow out until spring

Rick

Top Bottom