New to this

SweatyLeddy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just received my first pre-bonsai green island ficus microcarpa about a week ago. Currently it is the beginning of October in Wisconsin, and I am just curious as to if I should do anything with this tree prior to the winter months. I read that I should wire the tree in the late fall, but I think I would need to defoliate the tree to do this effectively, and I would like the tree to acclimate more for a couple months before I even think about defoliating. I have noticed some new growth on the branches. Overall I am just looking for some general advice from you guys! Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

SweatyLeddy

Seedling
Reaction score
These are pictures of it!

Attachments

• A3A3C3E1-B26E-415C-A2C5-40F39F255322.jpeg
    A3A3C3E1-B26E-415C-A2C5-40F39F255322.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 831954DD-3824-46B7-9968-1A3F5C4C9895.jpeg
    831954DD-3824-46B7-9968-1A3F5C4C9895.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 34

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you keeping it?

Welcome to Crazy!

You don't need to wire it. You may end up growing new branches as final branches.

I would try to keep it healthy and sort out them aerial roots.

Sorce

SweatyLeddy

Seedling
Reaction score
Where are you keeping it?

Welcome to Crazy!

You don't need to wire it. You may end up growing new branches as final branches.

I would try to keep it healthy and sort out them aerial roots.

Sorce
Thanks for the quick reply!

I am keeping it in a southeastern facing window sill that has a lot of sun come through it!
As to sorting out the aerial roots, after I cut them do I dig the roots out of the soil?
Also one more question do I need to start fertilizing this plant soon, or do I wait until the growing season?

Thank you so much for the insight!
Zach

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pounding, rhythmic tribal drum symphony signifying your arrival, traveller. We rejoice at the draw of the Woody Dwarve’s “siren song” here, in the Tiny Forest.

Nice Ficus! Do you plan on simply “wintering” it indoors?

Do you have access to any lighting equipment or humidifiers?

Also If you’d like to go ahead and update your profile/account information to reflect your location... it can be reasonably vague, if you like. (Mine just says, “Northeastern Wisconsin”) The idea is, if we know where your “smoke signal” is emanating FROM.. you are more likely to receive pertinent information.. relevant to your SPECIFIC region.

🤓

Also if you are anywhere near “my neck of the woods”, we’d love to have you be a part of our “TinyTree Study group”.... most things are very preliminary at the moment.. as well as predominantly “digital” because of the... health concerns.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First off, remember that this is a tropical plant. If it’s outside overnight at temps below 50, it’s dead.
Second, my ficus and other trops just last night moved indoors, where they will live under fluorescent lights on a timer. They have no idea what time of year it is, unless and until I set my light timer to change sunrise/sunset times every day. In my experience you can do anything within reason whenever it seems reasonable. That being said, it’s generally true that summer is a good time to repot. However, if you are reasonably gentle and don’t maul and molest the roots, you can repot whenever necessary, such as when it stops draining smoothly and reliably.
Third, why would you need to defoliate in order to wire [which can be done at any time with a ficus]? Defoliation has an entirely different purpose, principally to increase/jump start vigor, but most especially to reduce foliage size.
Finally, if it’s inside under lights during cold weather, you can fertilize it year round. Just be mindful that the combination of insufficient light and high nitrogen fertilizer will give you unacceptably long internodes.
best of luck to you. Hope it goes well.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As to sorting out the aerial roots, after I cut them do I dig the roots out of the soil?

I don't know that cutting em is best. If you do, cut them at the soil line and remove any dead excess at Repot.
Any that you wish to keep, can be left for now and more safely moved at Repot.

F is for fertilizer and ..."f" it! Don't stress over fert quite yet. Indoors over winter, with low light levels, it's likely to just grow you long stringy growth.

Sorce

SweatyLeddy

Seedling
Reaction score
I don't know that cutting em is best. If you do, cut them at the soil line and remove any dead excess at Repot.
Any that you wish to keep, can be left for now and more safely moved at Repot.

F is for fertilizer and ..."f" it! Don't stress over fert quite yet. Indoors over winter, with low light levels, it's likely to just grow you long stringy growth.

Sorce
Okay thanks for the information!

SweatyLeddy

Seedling
Reaction score
First off, remember that this is a tropical plant. If it’s outside overnight at temps below 50, it’s dead.
Second, my ficus and other trops just last night moved indoors, where they will live under fluorescent lights on a timer. They have no idea what time of year it is, unless and until I set my light timer to change sunrise/sunset times every day. In my experience you can do anything within reason whenever it seems reasonable. That being said, it’s generally true that summer is a good time to repot. However, if you are reasonably gentle and don’t maul and molest the roots, you can repot whenever necessary, such as when it stops draining smoothly and reliably.
Third, why would you need to defoliate in order to wire [which can be done at any time with a ficus]? Defoliation has an entirely different purpose, principally to increase/jump start vigor, but most especially to reduce foliage size.
Finally, if it’s inside under lights during cold weather, you can fertilize it year round. Just be mindful that the combination of insufficient light and high nitrogen fertilizer will give you unacceptably long internodes.
best of luck to you. Hope it goes well.
Thanks for all the information! Does the fluorescent light just allow them to grow just as much as they do in the summer? As for my defoiling comment I just thought it would be beneficial to see the structure of the tree, and it would be nice not having to go around all those leaves. It makes sense now that I wouldn't have to. Thanks so much for your knowledge!

SweatyLeddy

Seedling
Reaction score
Pounding, rhythmic tribal drum symphony signifying your arrival, traveller. We rejoice at the draw of the Woody Dwarve’s “siren song” here, in the Tiny Forest.

Nice Ficus! Do you plan on simply “wintering” it indoors?

Do you have access to any lighting equipment or humidifiers?

Also If you’d like to go ahead and update your profile/account information to reflect your location... it can be reasonably vague, if you like. (Mine just says, “Northeastern Wisconsin”) The idea is, if we know where your “smoke signal” is emanating FROM.. you are more likely to receive pertinent information.. relevant to your SPECIFIC region.

🤓

Also if you are anywhere near “my neck of the woods”, we’d love to have you be a part of our “TinyTree Study group”.... most things are very preliminary at the moment.. as well as predominantly “digital” because of the... health concerns.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!
Thanks for the comment! Yes my plan is just to winter it indoors. I do not have any access to lighting equipment or humidifiers, but I am considering getting a light to get some steady growth going. My "smoke signal" is also Northeastern Wisconsin, so we should be in a close region. Thank you so much for the information!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for the comment! Yes my plan is just to winter it indoors. I do not have any access to lighting equipment or humidifiers, but I am considering getting a light to get some steady growth going. My "smoke signal" is also Northeastern Wisconsin, so we should be in a close region. Thank you so much for the information!

Ironically enough, I just encouraged someone to encourage one of their family members to come to this site. Once they heard that I, also, did bonsai. ;)

Top Bottom