New to Trident Maples

harpua.cam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I recently purchased a trident via a facebook auction. After patiently waiting, it finally arrived yesterday! This is my first trident maple and I have researched how to keep them healthy. I also dove into the "piglet's progress" thread and read the Peter Tea blog posts. I believe my tree is a few years away from starting branch ramification but my question is more about a chop. How far down would you chop the trunk in your opinion? I have never chopped a maple but I do realize they are fairly resilient. Thank for the help!
image2.jpeg image1.jpeg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmm, before giving you any advice on future chops, I've got a few questions for you. First, why are you considering a chop? Do you see a smaller tree in this material? The picture on the left show a trunk with descent taper from base to apex, and any chop you make will take at least a few years to heal over. By the way, it would be nice to have more pictures from all sides...don't forget that we only see this in a 2 dimensional picture on a computer or IPhone. Second, why aren't you showing us the base of the tree? That usually is the most important aspect of the material that determines the front and any future styling. Let's see it!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah screw chopping.

Maybe clean up the top transition but.....

That's badass!

Lessin that bag is covering ugly.

I'd start a lot of branches over.

Friggin nice.

Still waiting to get approved there at the Auction....not that I have $ !

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hows the nebari? You seem tot be jumping the gun a bit, not every thing needs to be chopped or such dramatic taper. Where the front for this tree? My opinion is plant it into a flat or similar and study the tree and see where you want to take it. You can't fix chopping the tree down once the deed is done.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would definitely air layer if the tree must be chopped.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might ought just get to packin the bag with sphag?

Sorce

harpua.cam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I will post some more pictures this afternoon. I currently don't have a training pot large enough for the root system ( I have one ordered from that should arrive Saturday). I have some larger nursery containers that it would fit in. What do you guys advise I should do regarding the removal of the plastic around the root system? I have never worked with a tree with plastic around the roots. Should I wait until the pot comes or should I go ahead and put in in some bonsai soil in a nursery pot?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I will post some more pictures this afternoon. I currently don't have a training pot large enough for the root system ( I have one ordered from that should arrive Saturday). I have some larger nursery containers that it would fit in. What do you guys advise I should do regarding the removal of the plastic around the root system? I have never worked with a tree with plastic around the roots. Should I wait until the pot comes or should I go ahead and put in in some bonsai soil in a nursery pot?
Can you build a wooden grow box for it? It's great for root development and overall vigor.

harpua.cam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I won't have time to build a box before my training pot arrives unfortunately.

I guess my main concern is the health of the root system in the plastic. Would it be better to let it air out?

harpua.cam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
IMG_1315.JPG IMG_1315.JPG IMG_1314.JPG IMG_1313.JPG IMG_1312.JPG

Here are a few more pictures as requested.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.JPG
    IMG_1315.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 18

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That's an excellent pre bonsai you got there!

From last pic, I would chop an inch or two above the bend. It all depends the final height yout want.

This will be a nice tree in no time.

Edit: got a pic of it next to a soda can or something for size reference?

Top Bottom