New tree for free! From BIB retiree

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Jim Amluxen who spent a few years in BIB gave me this Terminalia molinetii AKA Bucida spinosa! It’s hedged back for now but I have to decide where I want to take it. I’ll get a full set of pics tomorrow but wanted to share and start a thread to document it’s progression. Any advice judgements etc are welcome. It was a free tree he quit working years ago. We hedged it back and dug it up since he was moving so I’m wide open to ideas! Should it get funky? Maybe chop and do a new leader in a totally new direction? Work on the curve he started? Abandon it all and start over? Once you get more pics better judgements can be made I know. It was about to get dark and rain so I got it on a turntable and ran!3C1017E0-AE14-43A4-A010-CE981D3C0EE9.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had one for almost 20 years from a pencil size. Very difficult to do anything intelligent with. I look forward to see examples of styling.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That girl is still in a bib!

img_0896.jpg

Did you know Lobster used to be peasant food?

Now we feed it to those brilliant rich folks that can't get out of their Bibs!

Sorce

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Congrats! I know absolutely nothing about that species.
Looks big!
It’s about 3.5-4’ tall, I haven’t measured yet.
I'd be a first brancher.

I don't like all the 2's.

Sorce
I’m concerned about the bar branches too but it is related to the tropical almonds evidently
BIB?
View attachment 324248
A few years is a long time to be in a BIB.

🤓

(Nice tree... my humor cloaks my jealousy)
Bay Island Bonsai, Boon students. I think he said 6-7 years under Boon. Roflmao

I did take pictures today from all four sides so if anyone has suggestions on changes or thinks I should keep it the same feel free to let me know!

Attachments

• 2AB3614A-50EC-434B-BFB4-BFEC6AB5E803.jpeg
    2AB3614A-50EC-434B-BFB4-BFEC6AB5E803.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 968FE0C3-A2A6-4990-BF72-330D3AC84430.jpeg
    968FE0C3-A2A6-4990-BF72-330D3AC84430.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 42
  • A499DBEB-5C55-43A4-96E8-78517B0F07A6.jpeg
    A499DBEB-5C55-43A4-96E8-78517B0F07A6.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 42
  • E0B19123-A724-4FC6-937B-227CA1170303.jpeg
    E0B19123-A724-4FC6-937B-227CA1170303.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 38

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It’s about 3.5-4’ tall, I haven’t measured yet.

I’m concerned about the bar branches too but it is related to the tropical almonds evidently

Bay Island Bonsai, Boon students. I think he said 6-7 years under Boon. Roflmao

I did take pictures today from all four sides so if anyone has suggestions on changes or thinks I should keep it the same feel free to let me know!

Boons ideals are SOOO tasty....

ALL about shared knowledge.. and spreading the joy of nature/art through teaching.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That girl is still in a bib!

View attachment 324249

Did you know Lobster used to be peasant food?

Now we feed it to those brilliant rich folks that can't get out of their Bibs!

Sorce

That’s cause “Richies” were too lazy to hunt and trap lobsters... Lobster “Cells” get heavy by the end of the day! 🤣🤣

They ain’t gonna get “down and dirty” with us peasants.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Boons ideals are SOOO tasty....

ALL about shared knowledge.. and spreading the joy of nature/art through teaching.
Like anyone that charges people it’s about money first! Lol not saying he doesn’t have ideals. For instance I want people to rent my canoes, I also want people to get outdoors more and camp and spend time on the water for innumerable reasons. Of course people getting outdoors camping and canoeing helps my business. Do I promote those things because of that? No but do I admit that it has an effect? Well yeah I just did. A lot of people have trouble with that, especially about people and places they admire. Now I bet Boon does want to promote bonsai and get people to spread his ideas because he thinks they’re good and growing the bonsai world And it’s knowledge is good for all of us but they’ll also spread his name with the knowledge... no matter what I come back to business owners all work in fields they enjoy thus they promote the field thus their businesses. It’s like a paradox loop, no it’s a feedback loop!

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
@Forsoothe! the tree you shared is from a current member? Because the guy I met who said he’s Jim Amluxen Identified as a former member from when he lived over there. Now I’m worried the nice generous man was impersonating someone. I wonder. I can check property appraiser but it won’t tell me if he was truly a student of boon. Hmmm regardless I got my first tools, old ones but Japanese no clue on brand and a tree for free so who cares if he’s bit who he says he is!

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Forsoothe! the tree you shared is from a current member? Because the guy I met who said he’s Jim Amluxen Identified as a former member from when he lived over there.
The tree he shared is his tree, and he realized that he had been unable to past the initial stage of development in a decade. Your tree is not the same tree, as far as I can tell between scrolling up and down..

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
The tree he shared is his tree, and he realized that he had been unable to past the initial stage of development in a decade. Your tree is not the same tree, as far as I can tell between scrolling up and down..
Ok I was so confused for a minute. At first I was thinking oh Jim made something of it. Then I saw 2019 on the second pic and the no net gain comment and I was like waaaaait a minute.

He’s saying he recognized species! While they can grow inside I’m amazed he’s kept it alive up there! Supposedly not hardy in my zone much less his! 5 years of growth in the ground amounted to a couple 5 gal buckets of twigging and 2 big (3/8”)suckers maybe 18” long I say big because by scale they’re bigger than everything on the tree. Except the main branches they sprouted from and the trunk. It will probably be even slower up there.

Top Bottom