New Tree, the common questions!

Reaction score
Hello!

I got given a bonsai tree as a gift. It has really made my apartment feel more homey.

Would you guys be so helpful as to help me identify it? Also any basic tips on caring for it would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 58

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is a ficus. Probably Benjamina variety.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hammadi, yes thats a Ficus, Thats a mass produced Ficus in the "s" shape. It looks in good health, keep it watered but do not keep it drenched wet. The pot needs to drain out the bottom soon after you water it. It also needs good light too. The soil looks like regular potting soil which may cake and be slow draining which is not good as it can cause the roots to rot. If it stays happy leave it alone for now. These plants ( Ficus Benjamina ) have a tendency to drop leaves getting accustomed to new environs, but they will come back once established. Search here for soil mixes, on Ficus I prefer half the original soil and half lava chips or pumice, this will keep the roots from being soaked and allow good drainage so teh roots don't drown. They need to get wet and then as they dry get air to then to stay healthy, just do not let it totally dry out. A decent fertilizer like Miracle Grow will help your plant after it has had a chance to settle in. Do check the bottom of the pot for a drain hole sometimes tese are potted in improper containers to sell them, it helps to put a tray underneath when they are inside so you do not get the surface its setting on soaked with the water that drains out. These are easy plants to keep all things considered, good luck with it.

ed

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is a nice litte tree and it does look healthy.

I am new to growing them myself but what Ive learned so far echos Ed's statements regarding water.

They do seem to be a tad fussy about water. They dont like being soaking wet and they dont like completely drying out so you really need to stay on top of that. I also agree the tree will do better with some extra light.

Good luck and welcome to BNut and the addiction.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What they said. Sorry for my mistake. :eek:

$#@*...how could you make such a mistake!!!! :p
No big deal, we wont show up at your door with torches and pitchforks over it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lots of light(16 hours on a timer in the Winter), good drainage... Ours stay in Dry Stall and get fertilized. With Dry Stall they get watered everyday.

Grimmy

Reaction score
Thanks all!

What a great community, thank you all for your time and input. There is so much information out there that I'd like to start simply by keeping my tree healthy and happy.

Is it there any etiquette for (or against) naming your tree?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The tree itself won't care. Serious bonsaiests may raise an eyebrow or two. But go ahead.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What a great community, thank you all for your time and input. There is so much information out there that I'd like to start simply by keeping my tree healthy and happy.

Is it there any etiquette for (or against) naming your tree?

I named this one after my Mother in Law. It was dug from her front yard....and the tree has certain characteristics that remind me of her;).
attachment.php

...and no, the tree doesn't come when called:p.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
P.S. That's a pretty ghetto photo studio :) Combination bomb shelter and spray-painted rubbermaid storage unit. Makes me feel better about draping an Army blanket over a fence :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've been here long enough to almost take offense...but I'm off to hunt squirrels from my truck and try not spillin my beer.

Top Bottom