New trees from online dealer

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have received couple of trees from online order. Portulacaria, Metasequoia, Chinese elm and Shrubby cinquefoil. The pics were taken inside, trees are outside, will put Elm inside when cold enough, Portulacaria already in.

, , , https://imgur.com/6DtkXlQ

Not quite sure if i should repot them before the winter or should i wait till the spring. The soil looks organic to me, that's why i am thinking if i should replant them in to a 'proper' soil mixture. Because of the soil type, it feels moist, so i am not sure if i should water them (they were in boxes, probably couple of days).

- Metasequoia root ball, it just slips out of the pot - Portulacaria - some white stuff on all the trees. Something they use when shipping plants?

Thanks for all the answers.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wouldn't repot them now, would wait for spring.
I like some of them, esp. metasequoia, it's deciduous so expect dropping all leaves.
The white stuff is a calcium residue from hard water.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I agree, if possible don't repot until early spring. Water immediately after taking them out of the shipping container. Then observe how long it takes to get get dry again.

Dawn redwood, metasequoia, really likes water, don't let it get too dry. They are extremely cold hardy, hardy thru zone 4. Most of the USA they can be left outside all winter.

Shrubby cinquefoil likes to get a little dry between watering.

Chinese elm can tolerate a moderate cold winter. Zone 6 is not too cold if they have 3 months to adapt. Let it get a few frosts before you bring it in.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for all the info. Will definitely wait till the spring then. The soil that is currently in the pots it's not a problem then? Also the fact that Redwood easily slips out of the pot, shouldn't be an issue?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for all the info. Will definitely wait till the spring then. The soil that is currently in the pots it's not a problem then? Also the fact that Redwood easily slips out of the pot, shouldn't be an issue?

Take a piece of wire, tie it into the pot. If you are going to winter it outdoors where it will freeze, put it in a plastic pot, wire (tie) it into a plastic pot. Freezing will likely crack the ceramic pot it came in, the pot doesn't look freeze - thaw resistant.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Repot in the same pot or should i use bigger one?

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And another thing. Shoul i remove the moss from the Shrubby cinquefoils trunk and from the top of the soil from other trees? And if so, should i do it now or also wait for the spring?

Top Bottom