New trees

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I live in the Phoenix metro area. Tomorrow we’re going to Richard’s Garden Ctr. looking for some new trees. One’s I would like to try are ficus carica,(edible) fig, Japanese Maple, Arizona Ash, Rose of Sharon Hibiscus, Jacarannda, LiveOak, Ironwood & Chinese Elm.

Anybody in this area have any ideas on this plan?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So on our walk a few days ago I collected some Sweet Acacia seeds from the base of the tree. I have tried to germinate these before with no luck. Watching Bonzai Zone I saw that Nigel soaked his seeds before planting. I let mine soak for 1 day with little change. After the second day they were plump & ready for soil that they got today. We shall see if they grow.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I live in the Phoenix metro area. Tomorrow we’re going to Richard’s Garden Ctr. looking for some new trees. One’s I would like to try are ficus carica,(edible) fig, Japanese Maple, Arizona Ash, Rose of Sharon Hibiscus, Jacarannda, LiveOak, Ironwood & Chinese Elm.

Didn’t find any trees at that place.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Ya might take a look here. People have already done the legwork

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Didn’t find any trees at that place.

Sorry to hear that, friend. It’s frustratingly better NOT to “desperation buy“ out of convenience rather than waste time and resources on a tree i’m not WHOLLY enthused about, I find.

It’s still always dis-heartening to come back, empty-handed, when the expectations were there.

Next time...

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not know where that is. There is a mom and pop nursery called Shady Way out in AJ I go to every once in awhile.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Japanese Maple, Arizona Ash, Rose of Sharon Hibiscus, Jacarannda, LiveOak, Ironwood & Chinese Elm.

You may have a rough time with JMaple. I'd skip that whore Sharon. Ironwood could be like 6 different trees I think. Do elm fer sure, only, get a Siberian free from the Querqe.

A proper bonsai shopping list looks like this...

Anything with a Good Nebari and trunk.

Anyone who goes shopping with a list of species comes home with all those species, and crap bonsai material.

Look for good bonsai material, and if they happen to come in the form of a species you hoped for....bonus.

Whenever you buy trees, remember, you are essentially buying bonsai currency.
Just cuz you don't WANT an "x", doesn't mean you don't buy it and trade it to dude who wants it and has your "y".

Sorce

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Summer Winds
3160 S Country Club Dr, Mesa, AZ 85210

They have limited bonsai supplies...pots...soil.. and every once in awhile you can find a tree or two. No Japanese maple.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm we need to update that list.

Discount List Phoenix area.

20200517_073440.jpg

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
LiveOak, Ironwood & Chinese Elm
Sorry I missed this post.... I would say a strong YES to LiveOak and Chinese Elm... and Ironwood... The Desert Ironwood (Olneya tesota). If you happen upon a Montezuma Cypress I would definitely go for it. Tons of fun.... right Randy @AZbonsai ?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry I missed this post.... I would say a strong YES to LiveOak and Chinese Elm... and Ironwood... The Desert Ironwood (Olneya tesota). If you happen upon a Montezuma Cypress I would definitely go for it. Tons of fun.... right Randy @AZbonsai ?
Ha....you cornered the market on the Montzuma! @Arizona bonsai you have to go down to Tucson and take them out of the back of Aaron's yard. Mine is heavily guarded by vicious chihuahua and concertina wire.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I did see a live oak at summer winds that was 5’ tall & all branches at top. Could it be air layered or trunk chop & survive?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did see a live oak at summer winds that was 5’ tall & all branches at top. Could it be air layered or trunk chop & survive?
I have no experience with air layering or trunk chopping oak. I do have a live oak clump that is doing really well!

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ha....you cornered the market on the Montzuma! @Arizona bonsai you have to go down to Tucson and take them out of the back of Aaron's yard. Mine is heavily guarded by vicious chihuahua and concertina wire.
BAHAHAHAHA!
Yep... got the good ones down here.
There are only 2 left at Mesquite Valley but not great specimens.... They lost 7 over the winter. Total bummer.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was going to buy those last time I was there but only had the wife's car! You need to keep on them to buy more! @AaronThomas

Top Bottom