New Trident Maple Stump

cship4885

Seedling
Reaction score
I just bought this trident stump from Gregory Beach Bonsai. I am very pleased with the purchase as I have been with the last two trees from them.Tree is well planted, rooted in 100% turface. It is chopped with what looks like a new leader chosen, however, I think in the future I will be going in a different direction. I may not do any work on the tree this fall and just let myself get comfortable with it until I understand how the tree wants to grow and look. By first instinct, I think I would chop it shorter to one of the branches on the opposite site of the slope so that it brings a change in direction for the trunk then train to informal upright. I think this tree might also benefit frame a wider (in both directions) growing pot. I think for a new portion of trunk to run and develop I will need to let the roots go free in a larger pot.The picture with the tree slanting to the right is what I believe to be the front of the tree, but I am going to wait as that may change.

Opinions on the tree and suggestions for direction are welcome.

ODR1234

Seed
Reaction score
re:

I would take of the wire. Then I would establish the leader. Then I would clean up the cut and make it flush, or you could create a uro (hollow) to add some interest. The main thing is that the cut is not angles enough so it ruins the taper of the tree. Then I would look at the tree and decide which branches to keep and what branches will never be useful. Finally I would feed the tree heavily. Get a lot of growth and some back budding and see if you can get and more buds and see if they are useful. After you have a general branch structure then start pinching the terminal buds in the spring and clipping for back budding. I would say in two-three seasons you could repot the tree and then continue on maturing the branching. Nice tree please post an update in a few years.

Top Bottom