New trident project / questions

LarryAldrich

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought these tridents from an on line source. I'm planing on potting them up in colanders for a couple years to grow some nebari and thicken up the bases. Is this a good plan? I know I will need them to back bud to thicken up at the base. ...but I gotta start somewhere. Any thoughts?
Thanks for your input.
Larry

image.jpgimage.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to reach out to Smoke ( al ) he just had a kidney stone but he is real nice guy and has TONS of experience with these. PM him and I bet he will help, also look for any of his posts and check out his blog, there is a link in his signature line. You will be green with envy at the trees he has produced.

ed

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hi all, I just bought these tridents from an on line source. I'm planing on potting them up in colanders for a couple years to grow some nebari and thicken up the bases. Is this a good plan? I know I will need them to back bud to thicken up at the base. ...but I gotta start somewhere. Any thoughts?
Thanks for your input.
Larry

That's a fine plan for the first one. I have no idea what you will ever do with the other, but at the very least it can be a source of cuttings or air layer experience.

LarryAldrich

Seedling
Reaction score
I did some reimagining of the trees. Can you visualize them as these? Then I can start over with the stub bases that are left.

Thanks
Larry Aldrich

image.jpgimage.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The second re-imagining is very nice. That's with the tree layered and turned? I think just turning a bit more counter-clock so the top is growing more front might be a little better.

This is why I always take photos from all sides to post when I want ideas, there are always more options than you think!

WillHolt

Seed
Reaction score
it is under shaded cloth... my guess is a 50% or so.

I will check out that thread.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All trees thicken in key spots due to sacrifice branches adjacent to these key spots. If you wish to thicken a base of a tree while retaining some of the smaller branching in the top, then either a shoot low on the base will have to be developed or a branch grafted there, or the tree chopped shorter to increase the base due to low branching. All of these things take time and for all intents and purposes ruin an otherwise cool tree for a few years.

I relate building nice bonsai trees to the treatment of cancer. Like chemo therapy, the chemo therapy almost kills the patient to kill the cancer.

Likewise to make a bonsai beautiful, one must first make it ugly. That part is hard for some people to handle.

Building a base on a maple is not done in a colander by itself. To build a good flare or nebari, one must provide a place for the roots and trunk base to push against. This can be done by growing the tree on a tile or a wooden board. It helps to attach the tree to the tile or board by wire, staples or some other mechanical means. Seperation from the board will allow the tree to relax and stop its basal growth.

Your comment to back bud for basal growth is a good one and is needed to start that procedure. The problem is with maples either green or trident is the apical dominance of the species prevents it from pushing new buds from old wood in the bottom two thirds of the tree. This is only accomplished with drastic reduction of branches or drastic reduction in trunk height, which leads us back to ugly before beauty.....

Good luck, Al

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Likewise to make a bonsai beautiful, one must first make it ugly. That part is hard for some people to handle.

Damn I can handle that !!! Every morning I look in the mirror and marvel at the damage I have done to myself over the years, messing up a poor defenseless tree is a piece of cake .

;)

ed

Top Bottom