"New" Ulmus minor, another one bites the dust!

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one was collected on 14/02/2021

At 07/04/2021

At 21/05/2021

Next year I'll do some airlayers, by now it's growing like a weed!

TVpT1vT.jpg

We'll see.

Cheers.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can it sustain and grow with those small roots ?
Take a look at the first post and look how big the raw material was, and how few roots it had. Now in proportion, it is plenty of roots!!
I give you credit - you do some of the most aggressive things to your plant material... and yet they always seem to survive :)
Elms are quite difficult to kill. Specially if they are strong, and with few buds to fed.
Balance is the key. No branches, no much roots needed. So you can be brave pruning both: roots and branches, and let the plat recover after that.

Last edited:

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take a look at the first post and look how big the raw material was, and how few roots it had. Now in proportion, it is plenty of roots!!

Elms are quite difficult to kill. Specially if they are strong, and with few buds to fed.
Balance is the key. No branches, no much roots needed. So you can be brave pruning both: roots and branches, and let the plat recover after that.
I started doing some hard prunings on my elms after watching you cut almost everything down, but I always leave a bit more roots, I guess I can be wilder

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, roots not are always mandatory....for elms.

This one is the craziest "cutting" I had never seen

And it survived

So for a elm, heavy root pruning is not a challenge....if they have no branches to feed.

200.gif

Cheers!

Top Bottom